Agfa Accuset 1200 w Star 600 Calibration

tekcontrol

I've an Agfa Accuset 1200 with and Agfa Star 600 Rip, it's working fine but I need to calibrate it (grayscale ). Because these imagesetter does not come with any manuals or software I try it using Agfa Calibrator (v 4.0 and 4.01) for Macintosh, but I receive only postscript errors and the grayscale test page never prints. Do I need other software to do that, any suggestions?

Depending on the version of PS used on your Star RIP, you may need to use AgfaSet which superseded MC Calibrator and was used for calibration.
Google 'Agfaset' and have a look at the top hit for more info.

The Star series of hardware RIPs were all PostScript Level 2. The AGFA Calibrator 4.x is a PostScript Level 3 application. As you are getting PostScript errors being returned from the RIP, that means that the Level 2 RIP is receiving instructions that it does not understand. In order to perform a calibration it will be necessary to obtain an older version of MC Calibrator (3.x) or update to a newer RIP. AGFA stopped manufacturing hardware RIPs about 15 years ago, so it will be difficult to find the old software. I've checked and do not have it either. Most newer software RIPs come with a calibration routine built in and can drive an Accuset.

The Star series of hardware RIPs were all PostScript Level 2. The AGFA Calibrator 4.x is a PostScript Level 3 application. As you are getting PostScript errors being returned from the RIP, that means that the Level 2 RIP is receiving instructions that it does not understand. In order to perform a calibration it will be necessary to obtain an older version of MC Calibrator (3.x) or update to a newer RIP. AGFA stopped manufacturing hardware RIPs about 15 years ago, so it will be difficult to find the old software. I've checked and do not have it either. Most newer software RIPs come with a calibration routine built in and can drive an Accuset.

Nicely explained and analysed!

Thank you, Armya. And don't feel bad about not having MC Calibrator, Vlad. I haven't even tried to service hardware RIPs for probably the last 12 years or so. Software RIPs are so much faster and more robust than the old hardware versions.

My last service for MultiStar600 has happened in 2006, Winnipeg.
I did not make a copy of installer CD or floppies, understanding the time of hardware RIPs is over.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back