Agfa Avantra 25

omnicow

I've been looking to get an imagesetter for my screen printing business for a while, and I'm currently considering an Agfa Avantra 25 with DuPont film processor. I was wondering first, if this is a good unit worth pursuing, and if repairs can be done easily. Second, I was wondering if there are any tests that can be performed just by turning the unit on to insure that it's a working machine? The owner says they have no chemicals or supplies and won't do anything other than power it on. I'd have to at least be able to get a relatively good idea that it works before I could commit to buying. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

-Ryan

I've been looking to get an imagesetter for my screen printing business for a while, and I'm currently considering an Agfa Avantra 25 with DuPont film processor. I was wondering first, if this is a good unit worth pursuing, and if repairs can be done easily. Second, I was wondering if there are any tests that can be performed just by turning the unit on to insure that it's a working machine? The owner says they have no chemicals or supplies and won't do anything other than power it on. I'd have to at least be able to get a relatively good idea that it works before I could commit to buying. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

-Ryan

We have an avantra 25. We have had it 9 years. I bought it unseen, but I was very very lucky when it arrived the "Carriage was not Locked Down". As I said I was lucky because the Avantra came to as back freight 2,000km by road and 500km by sea with only damage both carriage restriction arms bent out of shape by nearly 90 degrees.

The avantra had been idle for 12 months before purchase and did not start when it arrived.

Our Avantra 25 is the only one in Australia I think that has Startup probs with the Spinner motor not starting even with the hardware mod on the top of the spinner motor to give more power on startup. It starts 99% of the time now but early on it would take 10 or more restarts to get the spinner motor going.

Be careful buying an avantra when you don't know too much about them. Ours is old now but we still use it for pos film for a screen printer and some negs for stamps.

If the laser fails I been told its $30K to replace the carriage and spinner motor and laser!!!

Rod

What the error # you get when the spinner tries to start?
Did you try to turn the spinner mirror manually?

2 "omnicow" - find any other repro's with the film processor and develop your test job.
Don't use only internal machine test, try to output the real job via RIP - in case of improper disconnection of APIS data cable off the Avantra, it's possible to kill some of data buffer chips at Avantra's mother board.

Last edited:
When Spinner Motor fails to start its Error 149 and we did turn the spinner mirror manually a few times over the years. I think our Avantra was the second one to come out of Service Contract with Agfa. I remember when it arrived 9 years ago it came with no Agfa Engineers or techies so it was a me put together install commission with no instruction manual, but its still going outputting only 2-3 jobs a week now after 9 years of loyal service. Processers are another story ... buy """new""" unless the exisiting one is in exceptional condition.

Rod

Oh I see... "Spinner did not lock" error. That means the spinner did not reach exact speed for exact period of time. And the reason is - too much mechanical resistance to turn the rotor, just because of dust contamination in air bearing.

That's it, but back in the year 2000 there wasn't a great deal of help to start with until some other Avantra's escaped from Agfa's grasp, not like to today with instant access to CTP engineers and techies for Acento. I keep a log of 149 errors and last one was December last year when Spinner Motor failed to start 5 times one morning. but nothing from then to June this year when we went to CTP.

Rod

Avantra 25 with Focus Jam error

Hello

Any One Would Help me to determine what's causing a focus Jam error and the way to Home position the Focus in case of being necesary?

Also can any one send me a Service Manual for the Avantra 25?

need Help Urgently!

Regards

Angel

1, possibility of Focus motor is not working properly, (try to move manually by hand)

2, Focus jam sensor is not functional, check with agfa diag software / clean sensor.

3, CSDM board connection are loose reconnect it

Regards

Muhammad Hassan

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back