Alternative to high resolution imagesetting

Exactly what do you believe that there is in “new software” from Adobe that is “less and less compatible with older RIP imagesetter combinations?" I know of absolutely no features associated with printing from any Adobe graphic arts applications or even Acrobat to PostScript printers that have been removed or deprecated over the last 20 years! Exactly what do you believe has changed?
Maybe his Adobe CC vs. 6 'forever license' stopped printing when he upgraded his Mac OS - like mine did.
So he ends up having to keep an older Mac around just to be able to print from CC or pay monthly forever to Adobe.
I managed on my personal Mac for a bit and then switched to Affinity Serif products.
Not looking back, using MarkzWare to transfer from Adobe INDD and save as PDF which is NATIVE for Affinity.

Exactly what do you believe that there is in “new software” from Adobe that is “less and less compatible with older RIP imagesetter combinations?" I know of absolutely no features associated with printing from any Adobe graphic arts applications or even Acrobat to PostScript printers that have been removed or deprecated over the last 20 years! Exactly what do you believe has changed?
Dov Im just a pixel pushing graphics guy.. Trying to make film using new macs and newish software but Im stuck trying to tie them into a 30year old imagesetter.. This crap is / should be way easier... and Adobe for some reason has decided that they are not going to offer the level of support for the technical issues that can arise.. Again Im not a code head so what might be simple to those folks, is a pain in the butt for someone into pretty colors and shapes.. Big issue for me right now is PS level is having some weird effect on the density of black that is being output on my Accuset 1000 and which version of Illustrator the file is spooled from has some effect none of which Im qualified or technically adept at fixing..

Thank you, that is informative. I guess I don't have to feel like a total dinosaur because I still run film.

steveput,

I am (like thousands of users) still using film. IR film! The kind of film that most people think it is "not manufactured anymore" (sic).

IR film, for instance, it is still manufactured and alive as 30 years ago. Why? Because there are "esoteric" applications and industries that still use it.

What I try to point here is, that there are applications in which you cannot just upgrade to new technologies or implementations just for the sake of innovation or upgrading per-se. You cannot just throw away your film imagesetter and buy a direct-to-plate system, if you do not produce plates! For some applications like photoetching, photoengravour, curved metal projection-metal-additive, printed-wiring boards making (PCB), liquid-photoimageable systems, selective metalization over plastic, and several others, your only -and best approach- it is film (like 30 years ago).

You could buy a Ferrari if you want, but if your objective is to do calm bike hiking in the forest, I can't imagine how your high-end car could travel a few meters in a forest full of trees. In that case, a modest bicyle would be more powerful.

Film is a madurated and proven technology, and you cannot achieve the highest dmax with other technologies. If you are thinking about an additive direct-to-film alternative then prepare to a ton of hassles regarding dmax problems (blacks will be not true blacks, and lights will not be true lights). Face-it, direct-to-film alternatives (with the exception of true light direct-to-film alternatives) are adding an ink over a substrate (ton of variables and problems), while in the venerable film process, the emulsion is, both the substrate and the ink itself!

Do not feel bad for using film in 2021. Maybe it is still your more productive and viable option.

And if you are trying to avoid the chemical processing, why are the reasons or problems that you are having? To me, the final chemical processor step is the most fun. Just insert your film into the processor, enjoy a cup of coffe, and come back for your ready developed film in the output tray!

Last edited:
Dov Im just a pixel pushing graphics guy.. Trying to make film using new macs and newish software but Im stuck trying to tie them into a 30year old imagesetter.. This crap is / should be way easier... and Adobe for some reason has decided that they are not going to offer the level of support for the technical issues that can arise.. Again Im not a code head so what might be simple to those folks, is a pain in the butt for someone into pretty colors and shapes.. Big issue for me right now is PS level is having some weird effect on the density of black that is being output on my Accuset 1000 and which version of Illustrator the file is spooled from has some effect none of which Im qualified or technically adept at fixing..

Fin,

For "this crap" you mean... the imagesetter? or the software in the computer side? or both? Just try to remember that if you mean the imagesetter, well... that "crap" was manufactured like a tank and work-horse station, and that is the reason, after 30 years, it is still in service to you.

So I really hope you mean the software in the computer side.

But, then, things are not that bad either. I can understand what you mean as a "pixel pushing graphics guy". It is frustrating having lot of work on the high-side (publishing) and that hassles arise on the lower-side (hardware). Sorry, but if you really want to easy this trouble you will have to do a deep study about Postscrip Levels and implementations (I know, I know, you have a lot of work in designing and publishing. No time left for another issues).

I still use a film imagesetter from the same years as you, and , as Dov says, Postscript is always backwards-compatible (not deprecated or outdated). In fact, 99% of the compatibility problems in using newer software with old imagesetters are in the high-end or front-end side. That is, the publishing design software (call it Illustrator, Corel, etc.). It is a time-consuming task because you will have to run many tests with every option in the Postscript settings of the software you are using, and see the results of each, until you find the exact settings or parameters that you need to modify.

Maybe you can post specific problems you are having, preferrably with pictures.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back