Ancient Lino 330 Question

OfTwoMinds

We've been running a Lino 330 for film for years without problem (relatively speaking, LOL).

Recently we upgraded to a new Harlequinn RIP (Navigator 8.3). Suddenly our film is no longer coming out right reading emulsion down, which is what we need. The Lino 330 manual indicates that this particular control is overridden by whatever software we are using.

Page Setup Manager within Navigator appears to control this feature. Under "Effects" one can choose negative, mirrorprint, and control strip. I have tested each of these 3 features in turn, and both negative and control strip work. Mirrorprint has no effect on the film.

Possibilities:

1. an element on the Lino 330 has failed, resulting in film outputting emulsion up.

2. there is some other feature from within the RIP which controls this film quality.

3. the Lino 330 is in some way incompatible w the software RIP

Does anyone have any insight? Appreciate your thoughts.

If I remember correctly from 12 plus years ago. On the Lino there are some options you can change such as Positive/Negative, Mirror, etc. You might just have to scroll through the options.

If you have NEGATIVE or MIRROR/Wrong reading at the imagesetter settings AND Harlequin RIP --> you will get POSITIVE or RIGHT reading as a result of double conversion of an image data.

Leave WRONG READING parameter for Linotype 330 and RIGHT READING for HQ RIP; you will be able to read the text at ROAM windows as a screen proof, but film will come out "emulsion down".

Last edited:
On my old Lino 560 the settings from the RIP do over ride the front panel settings for right reading wrong reading emu up and down. Are you dropping into a hot folder or printing like a printer? I'm not sure how that would make a different, but it might. You can Check Vlad's suggestion, but I think you were right on what you read in there. The imagesetter actually only supports positive and negative, not right reading and wrong reading (mirror setting). Emulsion down negative would be Mirrored Negative. Emulsion up negative would be negative no mirrored.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back