Anicolor Printing Limitations?

printng

I always hear about the pros/advantages of anicolor printing presses. Are there any noteable downsides or limitations in terms of quality of print that can be acheived on an anicolor sm52 press vs a conventional sm52 press. Looking to run mostly 4 color processes but dont want to compromise on quality.

robb

I believe that the best quality, and greatest operator freedom to attain that quality, comes off a traditional offset press. Anicolor printing has few choices and many limits, good for quick pleasing color.

Erik Nikkanen

I believe that the best quality, and greatest operator freedom to attain that quality, comes off a traditional offset press. Anicolor printing has few choices and many limits, good for quick pleasing color.
I think this is an important point you make.

The Anicolor has the advantage that it prints more consistently around the plate cylinder than a conventional offset press. Maybe not a huge advantage but it is one.

IMO one can get the best of both worlds. One can have a more or less conventional offset press that has all the flexibility an operator would want but also print consistently around the plate cylinder which makes profiling how the press prints, much more predictable.

For what it is worth, back in 1991, I had one of the guys in my group, program a press simulator. We did simulation runs and compared how our Chambon roller train printed vs a single form roller press concept.

The single form roller was large and had idle rollers and oscillating rollers on its surface. This concept was aiming at removing mechanical ghosting and starvation ghosting. This simulation program was simple so we were only looking at mechanical ghosting performance.

The result was that the concept press performed better than our existing press with respect to variation of inking around the plate cylinder and also the response to density changes was faster with the concept press.

It was only a simulation but it suggested a better approach to roller train design that I think operators would like.

Automatically Autonomous Automation

Automatically Autonomous Automation
Although the autonomous car is not quite ready, a lights out print operation is something you can do right now if you have a comprehensive Print MIS (Management Information System). The advantages can put money on your bottom line. So what’s your next step? Link to Article