Another one bites the dust!

eran

We had our usual "once a year" drum scan job come through and my old OS9/G3 machine finally died on me. I'm exploring my options as far as replacing it and I would imagine there's some experience out there with such topics. Our previous set up was as follows: Howtek 4500, Aurora, and the above mentioned computer. I've got minimal experience with SCSI devices in general but I don't imagine that will pose too much of a problem as I've got several G4's with SCSI cards. My main problem may in fact be software. In cleaning some cabinets out I believe I trashed the original install floppies for Aurora and I definitley don't have any other macs with a port to connect (what appears to be) a ps/2 dongle.
What kind of software recommendations are out there? I've seen some mention of SilverFast and some others but is there a clear winner of functionality<->price out there?
Also... more of a tech question, but I've got what looks like a parallel -> SCSI cable, will that function just as well if I were to connect it to a PC's parallel port?

Thanks!

a port to connect (what appears to be) a ps/2 dongle.

The dongle is Macintosh ADB port. When manufacturers adopted USB years ago we used small USB-to-ADB converters to continue using these dongles. The converters can still be found easily, if I remember correctly it was Griffin, Belkin and various other manufacturers of such cables and accessories ... google for mac usb-to-adb converters.

I've got what looks like a parallel -> SCSI cable, will that function just as well if I were to connect it to a PC's parallel port?

No, it won't work. It was called PowerPort or something, it was used for peripherals such as printers and scanners (... yes, scsi scanners).
Try to find the Aurora installer kit, purchase a dongle converter and get a suitable second hand G3 or G4. Install OS 9 on it, put an Adaptec PCI scsi controller in it (2904, 2940 or whatever). Adaptec used to sell special 2940 cards called PowerDomain they were only compatible to Macs but there workarounds.

Thanks for the great input, Everyone. I've got some things to stew on.
So if Aurora is dongle protected then what are my chances I'll be able to find some install files floating around on the internet? I can't seem to find much of an official web presence at all. Who makes (made?) Aurora for that matter anyway?

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind- I'm a bit surprised we don't have one laying around somewhere. Ebay looks to be a good source...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back