Any experience running 9x12 envelopes digitally?

kslight

Hi we recently had an order to run ~350 black envelopes and for a test we opted to run them digitally with addresses... They did not run/look great off of our Xerox 6060 but for cost/customer it was acceptable. They ended up running so poorly that we moved them to our Xerox 2060 and they were able to run someone better over there, but still didn't look great (wrinkles, et cetera). My question is...we used cheap offset envelopes, has anyone been able to pull this off with better quality or "designed for laser" envelopes (if they exist?)? We also have 6180s so anything that could run through those instead would be an option also, as I think we really only need to be able to run in black. We do have small sheetfed presses that we can do this with (minus variable) but obviously we are trying to cut our costs for small runs.

If there is no option with production printers, is there any kind of relatively low-cost desktop printer option that will run 9x12 envelopes well?

We have a Canon Color IRC3220 and it prints envelopes without any problem. We also have a Xerox DC252, but I experience the same problem: Wrinkles!

You need to open the flap of the envelope and run it on Plain Setting. If the toner doesnt stick well, use Heavy1 or Plain with Gloss set to On. If the envelope prints on front and back flap, you will save 1 click per envelope, because you can print both at the same time.

No more wrinkles with this workaround, but you will need to open them and then close it again, a little bit extra time in the process, but the product quality will be excellent!

Hope this works for you.

Tried to run them on our 8000AP, wrinkled too bad, moved them to our IR 3200 ran like a champ.

Interesting...I ordered some samples of different envelopes to see if I might get better results with better quality envelopes. Our 2060 did run them better than the 6060 so we may end up trying to work with that and see how far we get.

I have done them on a Xerox ColorQube. This product works great without wrinkling. I will caution you that this product is not meant to be your workhorse printing device. It can handle flyers and envelops buy not glossy stock.

Low cost desktop printer? The Xante Ilumina. Base model is like $10,000 and you can get the envelope feeder for an additional $6000. The feeder is nice if you plan on doing quantities greater than say 250. My Ilumina does not have the feeder. If you can deal with loading 30 at a time it will print on them like a dream. I have done 9x12 with a full color photo covering the entire thing (with no bleed of course). I print 10x13 for myself on there all the time. And when you're not running envelopes, you can print invitations (with matching envelopes of course) and 160lb cover stock!

I agree with Craig and Prepresspd, I used to have an IRC3220 and it ran envelopes without a problem. And my DC252 can't even hope to print on envelopes.

And of course, I know a dealer who can sell you an Ilumina and I'd be glad to give you his info. He has helped me with the machine when I've wanted to throw it out the window.

I was hopefully looking to find a solution that would work with our existing printers without purchasing a new one, as we don't have enough envelopes that we'd like to print digitally (we have small presses that will do this well in quantity) to justify a $16k printer at this time. I still haven't received my stock samples to try it again on our 6060/2060.. If that doesn't work then I might consider the Colorqube. I couldn't see us using it as "workhorse" printer as we've already got those, as long as it could run envelopes with sellable quality reliably then that would be enough for right now, even if we had to feed envelopes 20 at a time or something.

Will the Colorqube do #10 envelopes also?

And of course, I know a dealer who can sell you an Ilumina and I'd be glad to give you his info. He has helped me with the machine when I've wanted to throw it out the window.

Actually you know it might not be a bad idea to get your guy's info after all. The Xante looks like it could be a replacement for our old Ryobi Sheetfeds that we do this kind of work on (not digitally though, and only 2 color). Does the Xante work well for work you'd normally run offset as opposed to digital, such as letterhead, business cards, etc...or is it really just like a copier that can do envelopes? I would personally LOVE to see one of those replace part of our offset line if it was suitable for that kind of work.

The Xante is just a re-branded Okidata 3960 with minor enchantments. The Oki is only $3000., plus you are not locked into Xante's overpriced proprietary toner (via RFID chip).

If you need an envelope feeder, check out the Straight-Shooter for $5500. Straight Shooter Equipment Company

Actually you know it might not be a bad idea to get your guy's info after all. The Xante looks like it could be a replacement for our old Ryobi Sheetfeds that we do this kind of work on (not digitally though, and only 2 color). Does the Xante work well for work you'd normally run offset as opposed to digital, such as letterhead, business cards, etc...or is it really just like a copier that can do envelopes? I would personally LOVE to see one of those replace part of our offset line if it was suitable for that kind of work.
Check out the Xerox Phaser 7500. It cost way less and is the same engine as the Xante. The phaser does not come with the extra acessories.

Here is the Xante dealer info: Xante Laser Printers - Xante Color Printers - The Richardson Company When you call him just mention my name- Keith.

If you can't justify a $16,000 printer, forget the Colorcube; it's more than $20,000. As for replacing a Ryobi? Depends upon what the Ryobi was running. I do letterhead, envelopes and invitations on my Xante. As well as the odd sized stuff that won't work on my Xerox. As long as the quantity is less than 1000 and the toner coverage not more than 5%, you can make some money with the machine.

The Xerox and the Oki that were mentioned are all the same engine. They do cost less and I considered purchasing one of them to replace my aging Xante. Buuuuuut, I have some customers that like their business card stock on 160lb cover. I'm sure you could squeeze that thick stock through the other engines, but the Ilumina will happily swallow it.

Damn! I sound like a freakin' sales rep for Xante! I'm not! I started my print shop with that machine so it has a special place in my heart:) Please contact me by phone and I'll be more than happy to discuss my experiance- both good and bad- with the Ilumina.

We have a brand in the uk called comunique, I run them through our xerox 250 with no problems, every other brand wrinkled.

It seems like the Xante or similar would be a good Ryobi replacement for us if it weren't for the PMS critical and volume applications that we use the Ryobi for...sounds like it couldn't probably completely replace it except for low volume use... Still looking at different envelopes...I received some samples today I just haven't been able to try them.

The problem with Communique is that they are Euro sizes...we are in America so most here don't want those sizes..

I did get my samples of better quality envelopes and they appear to work better through different settings as suggested on this thread.

I do them on my Oki C9800 and C9650 without major problems. I just had to experiment a little with which ones it works best on.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back