Any screen printing experts out there?

Macmann

We have a phenomenon happening to our gradients on press. Has anyone seen this before? The films we use to shoot the screens are perfectly smooth but we get a ragged look near the midpoint and again in the lighter tones. We have tried multiple dot shapes, angles, resolutions with no luck. Although difficult to capture in a photo my hope was that someone has seen this. The red arrows point to the issue-the green checkmark is just part of the gradient. Any ideas?

Attachments

• gradient issue_A.jpg
    gradient issue_A.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 213
I would always add noise to the gradient in photoshop to eliminate the banding

Thanks Mark-the film used to create the silkscreen is smooth-no banding to add noise too. I believe this is a press issue.

What direction is the squeeze blade moving?
The film looks smooth but how does the washed out screen frame look?
If you rotate the film 90 degrees, not the screen angle, does the pattern direction change?

Last edited:
We set up our tests with the gradient rotated all differently-it didn't matter. Washed out screen looks good as well.

Perhaps the ink is too "long"?
In the sense that it slightly increases dot gain.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back