anyone using technotrans alpna.d dampening chiller/recirc?

Albert Noel

we've got an alpha.d that was equipped in '99/'00 on a manroland 305+L
for the longest time we've been off of dosers, and pre-mixing fount in a bucket and dumping it into the tank.

cant seem to get the dosing working properly. at some point a doser crapped out and after replacing it, it never really worked right again. we had the new one inspected, but it is fine. the problem is, after a day or two the conductivity goes down instead of up.
the ph also goes up. so either it's not pumping in the proper amount of concentrate and alcohol replacement.. or it's pumping in too much water.

does anyone have experience with this unit? i'm trying to figure out what the incoming pressure should be at the water inlet and what the flow dials should be set at the outgoing and return valves, as well as through the dosers.

also, i've replaced both float switches... the large ball float, which i think controls the overall level of liquid in the tank (water) and the other smaller float which i think controls the dosers in relation to the amount of water in the tank.
i've also replaced a doser completely (at a price of over $2000!) both dosers are working fine (as far as i can tell!) and there are new filter bags. all the little mesh screen filters are clean (both in the dosing wands and behind the pump) as well, all the little plastic ball valves in the wands are clean. i tried troubleshooting this issue with jbenison but he is no longer on here (he was a tech/instructor with manroland, and now unfortunatly doesnt work fo them anymore)

so any help would be great.

this may sound stupid but i had a "lazy" doser on a technotrans on another press so I increased the dose amount and settled within an acceptable window. I recall wanting 3% but setting it on 5% or thereabouts for a more consistent reading over a few days. Alcohol was more accurate due to a separate hydrometer apparatus

Albert,

Not sure if I can help but I can sure sympathize with you. We have had two different Technotrans units both of them given us trouble. The first one the compressor would go out about once a year. The other one we have right now we have had the doser go out twice. The tech. said it was related to the factory setting on the water regulator in the unit being set too high. I have not been too impressed with Technotrans.

Dear Albert,

it is VERY VERY importand , that you install a pressure regulator, BEFORE the fresh water supply. If the water presure is too high, the stupid ass doser cracks down. If the pressure is too low, the doser doesnt pump additive. The pressure regulator must be adjusted at 3 bar all the time. I have got a service manual that I cannot post, cuz its 15 mb big. So, pm me an e-mail adress

i cant thank you enough!
i'll check everything at work tomorrow.
there is a regulator before the fresh water supply but not sure what it is set at.

time to tinker!

finally had a chance to look at the manual that was posted.
turns out it's not the same as the one we have. looks like this one is for speedmasters and designed a little differently.
i will read through and see if any of the settings pertain to our unit.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back