Apogee and device link profiles (DVL)

A customer of mine has upgraded from Apogee X v5 to Apogee X v7
They have an unsupported proofer - Epson 4900 (ok, NOW it's supported, but they don't have the license yet).
However by installing a demo version of a certain proofing rip, he can use it as a "shooter" to the Epson 4900, receiving CMYK PDFs and printing then as-is without calibration.
So what I wanted to do, was to build a "PDF Proofer" ticket, put it in an uncalibrated (no profiles applied at all) state... then, profile the "queue" from the outside, generate a link profile and load it in the ticket.

It seems it is impossible to build a "PDF Proofer" ticket and have it run uncalibrated with no profiles applied whatsoever. Anyone knows how to do this?

Also, question: is it possible to have something like "PDF Proofer" but without rasterizing the PDF?
In other words, does ApogeeX v7 have the ability to color manage PDFs in the normalization stage or anywhere else, without rasterizing them completely to bitmaps?
I have seen you can load DVL profiles in the PDF Proofer tickets, also in any proofing tickets, and even in the CTP tickets. How could you make a ticket that just exports normalized PDFs, but include colormanagement with DeviceLink profiles in the process?

thanks,

Roberto

I'm a little confused about what you're asking, but I will try to answer point by point.

PDF proofer can run in such a state that no color management is applied. See the attached screen grab.

The PDF proofer creates a rasterized version of the file. It does not maintain any vector data. The result is a TIFF in a PDF "wrapper".

Yes, Apogee can color manage in the "normalization" stage. However, I find that the normalization process is unnecessary. Normalization seemed geared toward conversion of PostScript data and flattening of PDF data. That's not required with the APPE.

The scenario you're describing is more complex than it needs to be. Your client will be miles ahead if they simply shell out for a proofing RIP. To drive a proofing device directly from Apogee runs into some problems. To do it properly, Agfa requires you to purchase/own ColorTune. Without it, you cannot ink-limit the device correctly. You have to create a profiling target that is ink-limited, and then build the ink-limit into the resulting profile. I've done it, but the results are not as successful as being able to properly ink-limit and linearize the proofer.

By implementing a proofing RIP they will also speed up the workflow by off-loading processes to other applications/machines. Proofing conversions and the actual driving of proofing devices by Apogee were slow, to my recollection. This additional processing overhead is a burden that can be moved away from Apogee.

Looks like it's not a problem to put a DVL into the workflow. Look at the attached screen grab just below the red box. If you need some assistance in putting the workflow together PM me. I can build the flow, save it out and send it to you (I think).

What screen grabs?

What screen grabs?

Rich,

In two places in your post you make reference to attached screen grabs, but none were actually attached.

Al

RATS AND MICE!

Here, you go.

Attachments

• PDF proofer.jpg
    PDF proofer.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 216
ok that's exactly what I do, and the damn thing does apply color management.
This worked in v5 but in v7 seems to be broken...!

Roberto

Two things:

1) Color management can happen at other points in the workflow

2) When you say that color management is being applied, are you getting a color conversion? The output profile specified in the Press TP will be applied as an output intent, but that doesn't change the color.

If you perform a Job Dump, you can then send me the jobdescription.ajt, and I might be able to figure out what's happening.

If the client has a Export TP you can export a PDF to your catcher's hot folder from the run list with no color management. If you are using a renderer in the flow it will apply color management since it has to convert RGB to CMYK in the RIP. The press TP is where the profile for the output device (press) is and the renderer uses that to color manage files that aren't CMYK.
If the device has a proofer license, Apogee will direct drive it with the color management handled in the workflow. We have a non-supported HP1050 task processor and I drive the color management with a device link profile (press-to-proofer) choice "3" below your "no color management" radio button in the screen cap.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back