Device Link profiles and proofing GRACol and Spot colours

TonyMah

Hello,

I work for a charity and we want to Proof GRACol in house to show our printers what we expect their final product to look like. We don't always have the luxury of going to the best printer in town for all projects. We would typically go high-end for our annual report but go cheap for a newsletter.

I have a copier with embedded Fiery (CMYK) and an HP-Z6200 (RGB no-rip) with embedded spectro.

I have an i1 V1 that I have bought on eBay and I am using proofing grade paper. On custom built ICC profiles the prints look good (properly grey balanced) and both the copier and the inkjet's Gamut volume exceeds GRACol

I can't seem to pass the GRACol control bar test on either printer.

I am wondering if a device link from the copier profile to GRACOL or from the inkjet's large gamut to GRACol would help? Would this reduce the gamut to GRACol and keep the colors in the middle from shifting?

With the Fiery I can easily tweak the spot colours to match the Pantone swatch. I am wondering if there is a way I can tweak the Pantone colours on the HP with no rip?

I can measure the Pantone swatch and measure the print out and get the LAB of both, but here is where I get stuck. It would be great to put the charity's spot colours when I make the custom printer profile for greater accuracy, but I am not sure how to do that. The profiler software allows me to enter RGB values but what colour space is it using? For example if Yellow is 95L -8A 50B what do I key in for RGB as it is different for srgb, arg and prorgb?

Another way is to measure the Pantone Swatch with Colour Picker referencing the printer profile to get the RGB and CMYK values and make a custom color in Adobe Illustrator with those values and print it.

I understand that I am trying to emulate a RIP without paying for one, but I have read that device links profiles are used for remote proofing without a RIP. I am under the impression that there is a way for the printshop to print a contract proof on the client's Epson 7900 without requiring the client to own a RIP. Any tips or advice would be welcomed, including if you think I am wasting my time and this is not worth it.

Tony

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back