Apple launches latest product - and it's made from paper!

NathanD

The click-bait title worked on me. Apple releases a book chronicling 20 years of Apple's design, expressed through photographs. "printed on specially milled, custom-dyed paper with gilded matte silver edges, using eight color separations and low-ghost ink"

Would be interesting to know more of the print and paper specs. And also take a look at it under a microscope.

Starting at $199 for the 32GB and $299 for the 126GB. I kid... the sizes are 10.20” x 12.75” and 13” x 16.25”, respectively.

The click-bait title worked on me. Apple releases a book chronicling 20 years of Apple's design, expressed through photographs. "printed on specially milled, custom-dyed paper with gilded matte silver edges, using eight color separations and low-ghost ink"

Would be interesting to know more of the print and paper specs. And also take a look at it under a microscope.

Starting at $199 for the 32GB and $299 for the 126GB. I kid... the sizes are 10.20” x 12.75” and 13” x 16.25”, respectively.

This video goes into the details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W63_N63Qy-w

Wonder if there's a copy in a Apple store?

Perhaps a Bay area printer could visit an Apple store - maybe the one at Apple's HQ, 1 Infinite Loop - and report on where it was printed, who printed it, what screening was used, and maybe what colors, (who did the separations?) and was a varnish used. It should have been printed using 10 micron FM (some Bay printshops that have done work for Apple have used 20 and 10 micron FM for Apple's promotional material in the past). If it was printed in China, again there are shops there than print excellent 10 micron FM also.

Just found out it was printed 280 lpi. How quaintly 19th century. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I guess Jony doesn't know printing.

Last edited:
Jony Ive applies the same forward thinking he applied to the printing of the “Designed by Apple in California” book to Apple's new portable:
Wooden%20Mac_zps5jpdanof.jpg

"Meticulously carved from a single block of Applewood the industry redefining MacWood Pro brings the organic weight of a natural composite of cellulose fibers embedded in a matrix of lignin. It's an artful, loving, yet forward viewing, homage to the first Apple computer - the two Steves' Apple 1. The brand new 72 ppi B&W (black and amber for those of modest means) renders images in crisp detail using unique raster technology that has its roots in the pioneering work of William Henry Fox Talbot. It’s possibly our most advanced gizmo ever. The new MacWood Pro is built on groundwood breaking ideas. And it’s ready for yours."

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back