AQ coating on an Offset Sheet

NGA

Hi all, i'm looking to find out if you all are having similar experiences when you try and coat and offset sheet. In the past we have had MAJOR issues with curling and either trying to get the sheet to delivery or if we have to back it back up. For awhile now we have said we weren't going to coat any jobs that run on offset paper unless it was a dbl thick cover or something of that nature. We currently have an opportunity to big on a very high end piece for local organization that will print 4color process plus 4 spots over 4color and spot, HEAVY COVERAGE throughout. The RFB requests coating. They want to print it on a 100# text sheet. My first suggestion is to varnish instead of AQ and or hard a special Hard dry ink formulated for this job to help with rub. My personnal opinion is that coating a offset sheet is pointless and doesn't add much to aid in protecting the sheet. what are your experiences

We use a low curl coating from C&A. It doesn't eliminate the curl,
but it is still manageable. It is called 1581D low curl work & turn.

We also use the Low Curl product from C&A. It reduces the curl significantly. Although an uncoated sheet will not be dry to the touch coming right out of the delivery, it will be bone dry after curing overnight.

Our coating company has an offset coating that still curls the sheet but not bad. Seems to me it is like 15 on a zahn 3 cup. We have not been able to run it in line without the ink back trapping. If you do go aqueous make sure you use coatable inks. The weaker offset aqueous will still burn out some pigments.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back