Aqueous Coating

I’ve noticed a recent trend with several printing companies ignoring our request to add an aqueous coating on our product. Whenever we followed up on the reason it’s either that it would add a significant cost, even though we are never provided a comparison between coating and no coating, or that a coating is not need for abrasion resistance, however the latter completely contradicts the manufacturers recommendations whom we have spoken to directly and has provided a detailed list of options to improve abrasion resistance.

My question: Is there a technical reason for not adding a coating to a product when the client requests it? (substrate is Yupo printed with UV inks)

If the quote specifies an aqueous coating and you have accepted that quote, then there’s no reason for omission. However if it’s not been specified, then the supplier may just give the most cost effective solution, which excludes the coating.

Aqueous coatings formulated for YUPO can successfully be used. Note: Most work-&-turn coatings are sealcoats, therefore, they would seal off oxygen from the oxidizing inks and prevent the inks from drying .However, coatings formulated for YUPO are porous, like a primer; therefore, oxygen can permeate through the aqueous coating, dry the inks, and then come back out of the aqueous coating.

I’ve noticed a recent trend with several printing companies ignoring our request to add an aqueous coating on our product. Whenever we followed up on the reason it’s either that it would add a significant cost, even though we are never provided a comparison between coating and no coating, or that a coating is not need for abrasion resistance, however the latter completely contradicts the manufacturers recommendations whom we have spoken to directly and has provided a detailed list of options to improve abrasion resistance.

My question: Is there a technical reason for not adding a coating to a product when the client requests it? (substrate is Yupo printed with UV inks)
I would not normally run an aqueous coating over UV inks, usual practice would be to dry the UV inks using interdeck UV lamps then apply a UV curable flood coating in the same pass.

It is messy on thin paper and hard to run on manual machines. I think all UV machines should be banded

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back