Are ink eaters really needed?

D.M.

Hi,
Could someone provide me some info about ink eaters placed on step&repeats?
Pro and cons? Love to see some examples.
Only what I know is the ink eaters are helpful for setting ink keys on press.
For some time our pressmen say that they are not able to print without extremely usage of ink eaters (sometimes overprinted).

best regards,
Damian

Hi,
Could someone provide me some info about ink eaters placed on step&repeats?
Pro and cons? Love to see some examples.
Only what I know is the ink eaters are helpful for setting ink keys on press.
For some time our pressmen say that they are not able to print without extremely usage of ink eaters (sometimes overprinted).

best regards,
Damian

Do you mean "take off bars" which take ink out of the system by printing the ink to the paper?

The variable ink strength system, based on form coverage, would be ideal for this problem. Still being conceived by the great minds of inkology!?! D

Damian, I believe what you are calling "ink eaters" are known as "take-off bars", or "ghosting bars" in this part of the world. The need for take-off bars depends entirely on the layout. Printing presses are built to mill out, and lay down, a uniform ink film. When a layout has sudden changes in ink coverage, it can lead to unwanted changes in density. Ink that is kept from laying down in white areas has to go somewhere. Take-off bars provide somewhere for that ink to go.

We use take off bars and ghost bars quite regularly. Take off bars are usually for using ink across the print unit when there is very little ink used in image. Ghost bars are used to to more evenly use ink on a heavy coverage plate when there are blank spots in the print. For example, a spot color background with a 4c photo in the middle. We would add an equal amount of spot in line with the 4c image so it doesn't print the spot darker in that area.

We had to use them all the time when the ink ducts couldnt be set to zero on our Komori. I would look at the press first as in an ideal world you shouldnt need them as it causes too much variation across the sheet (but obviously thats why you need them!) Check your press first.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back