Are small offset presses just not used anymore

Printerdw... believe me I am NOT trying to degrade your equipment, as a small shop I know what it is to make do with what you have. I'm just trying to inform the "offset only" mindset that there are advantages to digital at times over offset.

Not to worry not taken that way at all i know what you ment right now we are buying a new 4 color press and we looked hard at the DI presses but we found it was not for us we just dont do allot of the things it will do. and of course the price we got a real good deal on a new 524GX Ryobi. Dont know if you follow College printers but in the last 4 or 5 months 4 BIG college print shop have closed down LSU was a shocker over 100 people got layed off from what i hear. scary for us.

Hello all

Wasn't sure where to ask this question but you all seem quite knowledgable. We have started a new publication online and are wanting to move to print soon. We know nothing about printing and are looking for some direction. We would be doing short runs at first and growing as the months go on. We are thinking of buying a small press and platemaker as costs of printing through shops are quite high. Are we dreaming? or should we take this route? We would want a small tabloid style publication, black and white only. Should we seek training somewhere? We are based in British Columbia Canada.

Cheers in advance

Not to worry not taken that way at all i know what you ment right now we are buying a new 4 color press and we looked hard at the DI presses but we found it was not for us we just dont do allot of the things it will do. and of course the price we got a real good deal on a new 524GX Ryobi. Dont know if you follow College printers but in the last 4 or 5 months 4 BIG college print shop have closed down LSU was a shocker over 100 people got layed off from what i hear. scary for us.

Not a "shocker" at all. Print is DEAD.

You must diversify or die. Plain and simple. We have added wide format inkjet, gone all digital with a Konica Minolta 6501, (all offset equipment has been liquidated), digital envelope printer, we have added a 4 head Tajima embroidery machine, a 6 color screen printing system and we now are doing Websites for our customers.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back