Attracting More Pressroom Participation

Cory Smith

Received an email this week from a PrintPlanet member asking how we could attract more press operator participation. Prepress discussions dominate a lot of the activity at PrintPlanet because of the easy access to a computer.
Here is a snippet of his email
-----
+"I think, however, that press operators have a lot to add to the forum. Practical, actionable information that can help other [struggling|http://printplanet.com/discuss/] printers. Sometimes it’s just the little things in the press room - little tips which can benefit another printer.+

+So how to get them on the forums? Pretty tough call. However, perhaps something as simple (maybe not the most effective) way is to ask prepress operators to pass the URL on to the press operators in their shops to try and get them on the forums. Just a single post or a once a month post…+

+It’s a long shot…but would make for some excellent practical discussions!"+
-----
Anyone have any thoughts?

Re: Attracting More Pressroom Participation

We have a tight integration with printers and try to bring their questions and ideas as I can… the problem is a linguistic issue, and also many printers are very self concious when it comes to spellingand grammar (knowing that a spelling mistake can ruin their day).

I have been a Press op since 1991. I am currently a shop supervisor heavily involved in the day to day stuff. The Pressroom guys do not have access to the net during the day and some do not have computers at home. I stumbled across this site looking for a Printing blog. I enjoy all aspects of the industry. Some operators just are not that interested in the trade it is a job to them.

Hello there,

i have tried to give any advice to the users of this site as much as possible, i only have just over ten years four colour printing experience but i find that sometimes printing is a bit of a black art, sometimes the right answer one week proves to be the worst answer a week later and because of this i find its difficult to give guidance. where as prepress has clear intervention = result with press operating the boundries are somewhat slured at times, and when your looking for the smoking gun its difficult to keep focused when lots of poeple are shouting at you, so i find if im not 100% sure of the problem i dont reply. I would like to say that thankyou to all you guys out there for showing me the inside track on prepress, it is much appreciated and do give your press guys the web address, most people in the uk dont know this site exists, let alone is a valuable tool.

paul

i've been in this trade for 30 years and have seen it all. From press to suplier to product developer.
i am always happy to offer advice. I can usually get a solution for you.

I am here cos I believe in this industry and still love the "ink on paper" creative thing.

I have passed the link to this forum onto other printers but, since they have no access to a computer during the day, and bassicaly see printing as just a job they have no desire to corespond in there own time on print matters.. I guess it comes down to the old do you do your job for the $$ or are you genuinly interested in what you do, and I for one wouldn't be in the industry If I didn't have a great intrest in it...

I agree with most of the posters here, the pressman usually don't have access to a computer. I do however have a pressman look on this site. His comments is that it seems to be geared toward prepress, which is not his interest.

Oh our pressmen use computers, but prefer to look at soccer scores or pictures (better not go into detail) ;P

Hello, I am new to this forum but am a very experienced sheetfed pressman. I have ran 5,6,8 color Heidelbergs. All ranges of U.V. inks and coatings. I have a lot of experience in 4/4 perfecting, Hexachrome, you name it. Paper, board, synthetics. I feel that I have a lot of valueable information to give to pressman that are struggling with press problems whether they are mechanical, electrical, or process oriented. The other side of the coin is that I want to learn more about prepress operations. I have a very limited knowledge of "desktop" terms and what actually goes on before the plate comes out to the press. My email is "[email protected]". I am very eager to contribute as well as learn but the fact of the matter is the more people involved then the more information available. Thank you in advance for the opportunity.

I was at a press check earlier in the week, it would seem a big distraction to have computers in a press room. That said, it would be great to hear more from people who actually does the downstream work.

The press room supervisor I met is very knowledgeable about their hardware and limitations. However, the actual pressmen seem less eager and does seem to perform a job for the sake of it. I could see why it's a challenge to get them to voice opinions and experience on open forums like this one.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back