Automated Barcode Replacement

ErnieLail

Anyone implemented this kind of flow? We normally regenerate barcodes to allow for ink gain on press. Just curious if there is anyone who has automated the process.

Hi Ernie,
we have the ability to do automated impositions with automated barcodes on paper or plate. Is this what you are looking for?

Julie Watson
Ultimate Technographics
imposition.com

Al, I don't think that the OP has a problem regenerating the bar code with the correct BWR, however one then has to swap out the old art for the new. My take on the OP was that they are looking for an automated way to swap out and replace bar codes from their artwork. Am I wrong?

I don't use the Esko software mentioned above, however looking at the video it appears to be dynamic and adjustable on the fly.

Further questions could include:

What software generates the bar codes?
What format (raster/vector)
What software is being used for the construction, combining the bar code with the package art?
Is the bar code image linked or embedded directly as an image or link?
Are the bar code vectors copied and pasted into vector art?

Stephen Marsh

I can speak of the esko solution. It is now called "Dynamic Bar codes" Its a illustrator plug in that does make "live" dynamic bar codes. They can be edited for content and adjusted for scale etc...

If you use their Automation Engine workflow this can also update the bar codes in the PDF (If they were created with Dynamic Bar codes) as the files pass thru the workflow. It can query the job setup information or a external data source like a MIS system.

So the Automation Engine workflow scans the document for bar codes, then replaces them with a new code that allows for BWR?

So the Automation Engine workflow scans the document for bar codes, then replaces them with a new code that allows for BWR?

Yes, if the barcode was generated using their Dynamic Barcode plugin for Illustrator AND if there is a "Job" setup with the barcode parameters... then yes, it can automatically replace the code using the proper BWR, code type, code, etc...

I would have to generate the code with the plug in, and only then would the automatically replace the code? Sounds pretty manual.

I would have to generate the code with the plug in, and only then would the automatically replace the code? Sounds pretty manual.

It's more for enforcement of parameters than automatic replacement on provided artwork.

A system that would fully automate that process would have to be able to identify the location and specs of a given barcode -- which in supplied art would just be lines and text. The Esko plugin creates a "barcode" type object, which is how it can automatically replace/adjust it.

Okay gotcha, I'm looking to automate. Ill probably end up writing an app to do it, just thought I could save a little time.

The esko solution is really good for templates and variants of products. But you are correct. When all of your jobs are one off jobs even their automated solution is a manual solution.

Esko's development roadmap includes 'intelligent' die lines where you will be able to define things like bar code spec & position on the die line before any artwork is created. Barcode etc can then be generated & positioned automatically within a workflow based on XML.

It should be great when they get it working however as with all things Esko it will be a expensive solution and by the time you have bought all pieces of software to make it work (Artois CAD, Automation Engine etc you could of bought yourself a small African country!

Okay gotcha, I'm looking to automate. Ill probably end up writing an app to do it, just thought I could save a little time.

If you have the time and knowledge to write your own software to do this, then that is great!

To explore what may currently be possible or where you may be heading, I would repeat my previous questions:

What software generates the bar codes?
What format (raster/vector)
What software is being used for the construction, combining the bar code with the package art?
Is the bar code image linked or embedded directly as an image or link?
Are the bar code vectors copied and pasted into vector art?

Stephen Marsh

It's more for enforcement of parameters than automatic replacement on provided artwork.

A system that would fully automate that process would have to be able to identify the location and specs of a given barcode -- which in supplied art would just be lines and text. The Esko plugin creates a "barcode" type object, which is how it can automatically replace/adjust it.

which type of the barcode there

ONLY if the Barcode was created with Esko DeskPack DynamicBarcodes (Illustrator plugin), ArtPro, or PackEdge.*

*and was not converted to paths/outlines/etc.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back