Automatic masking software

Shawn

I have a client who is looking into the best options for regularly masking a few thousand images for a catalog we print. I looked at some of the automatic options in the past, and at least for the sample images I tried, we spent enough time cleaning up the results that it didn't seem to be much quicker than manually creating them in Photoshop. I'm curious if anyone out there has had any better results and could make any recommendations.

Thanks
Shawn

I can only second Stephen's remark, it all depends on the original images. In my 20+ years of practice I couldn't find any surefire solutions to this problem. The only notable software I encountered was Ultimatte's Knockout (discontinued); there is a similar product now from Vertus called Fluid Mask Pro.

Nowadays we try to go back to the origin of the images, and instruct the photographers to make shots easier to manipulate afterwards. Still, there is a lot of work to be made in Photoshop by experienced operators. Drawing Paths is the way we mask 2000+ images in a month.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back