Automating Process Question

Jim Klann

We are in the process of loading print ready and jpeg pdf's onto our customer's portals on our website. Can PitstopPro take an Illustrator or InDesign file and create the pdf & jpeg automatically through some kind of Action List ? Or is it just as easy to write the files in the programs that they were built in ?
My prepress staff tells me it won't save any time, however if it makes the process simpler and our CSR's can do it then that will take the burden off the prepress folks !

Advice would be appreciated - Thanks

Pitstop Server can do what you're looking for by automating the generation of a JPEG from a PDF file. There's a lot to consider depending on your workflow and what's needed by your web site and what you expect your CSRs to do. I would have a chat with one of our Enfocus Integrators to get an idea of whats possible based on your needs. It's free and at least you'll know what's possible. Just write us at [email protected] and let them know where you're located and what you'd like they will steer you in the right direction.

All the best!
Michael Reiher
Product Manager, Enfocus Connect

If you own a copy of Pitstop or Pitstop Server then that will help you but they only work with PDF files (not Illustrator or InDesign files).

I own a copy of Pitstop Pro and it's a life saver but if you the cost of the solution puts you off then you might want to think about AppleScript / Automator or even just Illustrator Actions. There are a lot of forums for you out there if you need advice.

Getting your CSR or Press Operators to help out always sounds like a good use of resource but if your solution isn't fool proof, things your PrePress team would spot will pass unnoticed.

We are in the process of loading print ready and jpeg pdf's onto our customer's portals on our website. Can PitstopPro take an Illustrator or InDesign file and create the pdf & jpeg automatically through some kind of Action List ? Or is it just as easy to write the files in the programs that they were built in ?
My prepress staff tells me it won't save any time, however if it makes the process simpler and our CSR's can do it then that will take the burden off the prepress folks !

Advice would be appreciated - Thanks

Do you mean one vector/raster hi-res PDF with no JPEG compression, and a separate lo-res vector/raster PDF with JPEG compression - or a separate PDF that has been rasterized to be entirely raster that has JPEG compression applied?

It is always worth asking second opinions as others may know more than your prepress, however it is also good to trust your prepress staffs advice too, they know the details of the project.

Stephen Marsh

'Can PitstopPro take an Illustrator or InDesign file and create the pdf & jpeg automatically through some kind of Action List ?'

No it can't because as already stated Pitstop Server only imports PDF files.

However there is an Enfocus tool that can do this, that is Enfocus Switch, we have customers doing this kind of thing all day, every day.
I think your prepress staff are wrong in the assumption that it won't save time, also what it will do is introduce standardisation and help remove operator error.
The operators will still be involved in the process however as they will need to jump in if there are any issues or missing elements within the native files that require someone to touch them.

If you would like more information please drop me a PM or email and I will get someone to contact you and discuss the possibilities.

Output Factory can automatically export InDesign files to PDF, JPEG and other formats. You can also create Actions to combine different output workflows - and then export to both PDF and JPEG in one click:

http://zevrix.com/OutputFactory.php

Output Factory can also automatically send output files to FTP, SFTP, WebDAV and other servers.

With any questions, please contact me via the support page: http://zevrix.com/support.php

Leo Revzin
Zevrix Solutions

What front end system are you running? Prinergy, Heidelberg print ready. Why not rip the file and create what every file types you need at the same time?. Sounds like you could use Enfocus Switch.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back