Average Hourly Rates for Print Production Workers

Cory Smith

I thought this weeks Dr. Joe audio chart would be relevant to a lot of members.

http://members.whattheythink.com/erc/charts080825.cfm

Looking at Hourly Rates from 1972 to 2006, inflation adjusted.

djwchart080825small.jpg

Interesting considering the skill sets that are now required - a recent local ad for a Graphic Designer (Compensation $12-$16 per hour, minimum McJob wage here is about $8/hr):

Position: GRAPHIC DESIGNER
Competition #: 08-071501

Reporting to the Project Manager, this position will be responsible for a variety of graphic design and prepress assignments. In addition, this position will also, from time to time, assist in the running of state of the art digital presses.

QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
Recognized post secondary education (related degree or diploma)
Minimum 3 years of progressively responsible related experience in a production printing industry environment.
Superior working knowledge of the MS Office suite of software, Illustrator, InDesign and PhotoShop
Excellent working knowledge of the Internet, E-commerce, the World Wide Web, Email software and web browsers

PRIMARY OBJECTIVES:
Provides graphic design and prepress functions, conceptualizes, designs, and produces designs and products based on client needs.

Designs and produces "camera-ready" digital art in preparation for a variety of printing production techniques. At times, will consult with clients and staff to identify their graphics needs and reasonable deadlines for projects.

Coordinates the printing production process to ensure quality; writes printing and other reproduction specifications (selects inks, papers, and print quality); inspects proofs for accuracy. Writes and edits basic copy, as appropriate. May provide technical computer support and install software programs.

May coordinate and lead the work of others. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.

Compensation $12-$16 per hour

Only those candidates short listed for this position will be contacted

Help me to understand how this thing works
20 years ago (on the bench) I was getting more money than now, we know this for a fact
But 20 years ago I used to get jobs from professional graphics designers who would pay down time when mistaken and the job had to be fixed (which was in rare occasions)
Now 80% of the jobs I process have to be fixed in a way or another.
No job is flawless any more.
People like us are getting more and more difficult to find because of our experience.
We are a dying species but the trade is booming
Without us nobody could print right
Now, why are we getting less money?
Every time I need a pay rise I have to tell my Boss that I am leaving!
He then realises than would not be easy find a new guy, panics and give me more money!
What a joke

It's the nature of a down economy as well as "automation". I use that term loosely, because nothing is truly automated.

I consider the skill set I have now to be a lot more valuable than what I am paid, but I accept it because the opportunities are rare and it's secure. Security is a tough thing to come by anymore.

Honestly, I mess with about 90% of files that come through due to various reasons and I know what problems to expect. (Which is sad when you think about it. You tell these designers whats wrong and they still don't fix it)

Do I make less money than I did a few years ago? Yes, but I also left the industry for a couple years so I expected that. I'll get back to where I was, I'm smart with money and live well with both my wife and my own income.

We all work in a very technical field, but it doesn't get the credit it deserves. Try explaining what you do to someone who knows nothing about printing. They think its all as easy as hitting the "print" button on their PC...... if that were only the case.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back