Backstage and Mac Sharing

Galrun7

Is anybody sharing their files from a Mac through Backstage? We are running 7R6 and our server is down to about 6GB left. The current server is Mac Server 10.4.11 and I am in the process of purchasing an iMac and transferring over the files and sharing from the Mac. Anybody have any suggestions on if this will work?
I have tried to make containers from shared folders on various Macs in the department to test it out but no luck. Are there groups or users that need to be enabled on the Mac side? Please let me know your suggestions.

J

The first thing that needs to be correct is a login for BackStage. It typically runs under a user account called "bgsystem" with the password "Drupa2000". This user account must have read/write priviliges on the share.

That being said, without knowing your configuration and the cost of your iMac , I would consider a cheaper solution that is tailormade for sharing files, e.g. a NAS-server or simply adding disks to your BackStage server.

Fast access to data on disk is in my opinion crucial for the performance on BackStage systems.

wkr
Lars

Sorry for long delay. Got the Mac in and everything seemed to work OK, but My Illustrator kept on crashing when saving some files. Ended up moving everything over to the backstage server as per Lars' suggestion. Wonder why it's so hard for the Mac share to work? Oh well thanks all.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back