Banging Noise in Epson Pro 9900 carriage

D

DAC79

Hi, hope you are doing great, im new on this forum and also i've just begin to service Epson Large format Printer..

Im encountering a problem with an Epson 9900.

It won't print at all.. When a job is released the Print carriage moves but on the left end a banging noise is can be heard, it becomes louder till the Head carriage wounld stuck on the left side.

Indicating "Paper Jam"
when the print carriage is moved manually it would moves freely along the rail... no blocking ...

Also i've noticed that it won't feed the paper at all ...

any help guys....

Thanks

Alex .

You may want to check behind the printing head. We had a small piece of paper from a miscut sheet that stuck behind the head and gave us the same issue. We were able to grab it with a tweezers and pull it out and all was good.

Hi,

Is this a refurbished machine ? Did it ever printed well ?
It seems like the carriage belt was not well installed or the tension setting is bad.
For the feeding problem, is the paper moving forward at least during the first moments at start or does it never move at all ?

Hi Alex, this strikes me as a dirty encoder problem. The encoder is a mylar strip about 1/4" tall that runs the length of the printer. It contains hard-to-see thin lines that a sensor on the print carriage reads to determine where the print carriage is and how close it is to either end of the printer. If the encoder gets dirty with ink or other debris, the carriage may not know when to stop. A cleaning of the encoder strip may resolve the issue.

If you clean the encoder, DO NOT use any kind of chemical. Dampen a soft non-abrasive material with warm water should do the trick. A chamois (like what you wipe your car dry with) works well. Just cut it into small squares.

pd

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back