Baum 714xlt bends card stock

COGordon

Hello Everyone,

I am running a Baum 714xlt ultrafold. It works just fine on text weight paper. However if I run anything above about 80# card stock it wants to curl the paper. It also leaves and imprint of the edge of the paper on the interior of the folded piece. Is there a way to adjust the pressure to avoid this? I was looking through the manual and there isnt much information on it.

It’s not the type of folder to use for heavy cardstock. You’re doing good if you can successfully fold 80lb cover. Best to look at a knife folder if you do a lot of heavy cardstock folding.

If it’s a half-fold you could try using the last fold plate instead of the first (top fold plate), doubt that work like you want, but worth a try if you haven’t already tried that.

There is something you may want to try, it may or may not help. Your folder doesn’t have gap sets to separate the rollers for different stock thickness. I have an old friction folder that I use for heavier stock and 8 page newsletters that get folded. The exit rollers need to have a bit more gap and it can be accomplished by wrapping the ends of the rollers with tape to keep them a bit farther apart. You’ll still get that curving with heavy stock but if you pack them tight in a box it will disappear after a bit.
Roller Gap.jpg

This photo is what I did with my folder to separate the exit rollers. I don’t use the folder for anything else other than the newsletters and the occasional heavier stock, so I leave the tape on. You’ll probably need to remove the tape after you finish the job. This is for half-fold only on the last plate.

The small circumference of the rollers is the main cause of the curl. The sheet has to make fairly tight turns and the thicker it is the harder it goes through the paper path. We bought a Horizon CRF for heavy stocks and the rollers are @4' in diameter. The tape will help, as will using the bottom plate but only so much. Good luck.

There is something you may want to try, it may or may not help. Your folder doesn’t have gap sets to separate the rollers for different stock thickness. I have an old friction folder that I use for heavier stock and 8 page newsletters that get folded. The exit rollers need to have a bit more gap and it can be accomplished by wrapping the ends of the rollers with tape to keep them a bit farther apart. You’ll still get that curving with heavy stock but if you pack them tight in a box it will disappear after a bit.
View attachment 293119
This photo is what I did with my folder to separate the exit rollers. I don’t use the folder for anything else other than the newsletters and the occasional heavier stock, so I leave the tape on. You’ll probably need to remove the tape after you finish the job. This is for half-fold only on the last plate.
Thank you very much. I'll give that a try

The small circumference of the rollers is the main cause of the curl. The sheet has to make fairly tight turns and the thicker it is the harder it goes through the paper path. We bought a Horizon CRF for heavy stocks and the rollers are @4' in diameter. The tape will help, as will using the bottom plate but only so much. Good luck.
Thank you. That makes sense.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back