Best Clear Media for Epson Inkjet

schenkadere

Our old filmsetter finally bit the dust. I have a Epson Surecolor T-5270 that I am trying to use to print our dielines. I am getting all sorts of sizing and ink adhesion issues. I'm trying 2 Sihl products, Absolute Clear and Accurate Screen as well as a Cartolith product. I'm not 100% pleased with any at the moment. The Sihl Absolute Clear is giving me accurate sizing and it hold the ink well but can scratch off. The Sihl Accurate Screen doesn't hold the ink and is not creating a dark enough black. The Cartolith is super black and the ink is rock solid, but the accuracy of size is off each time. It defies logic why the size would be different with a process like this but I see it with my own eyes. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

What resolution are you printing and is it symmetrical or asymmetrical?

Are you using the Epson driver or a RIP?

Setup a test file with rectangles of a known width/height - such as 250 x 500mm etc. Rotate a copy of the rectangle 90 degrees and print both rectangles in the same print.

Are they both the same measured dimensions, or is the one in the media travel direction different to the one in the print head path direction?

Do different resolutions affect the result?

What about media thickness settings?

With smaller or larger sized elements, is the distortion always the same error value for small or large elements?

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
I have a film designed for the Epson models if your interested in playing with a sample let me know.

How transparent do you need it? The ones that are not totally transparent work best because of the coating that dries/adheres the ink to the substrate. I've had great success using the films from CGS-ORIS and the Fujfiilm branded film (Part F-SCHD36100). I used to use the Midwest "clear film with stripes" and had all kinds of ink adherence and rub issues.

How transparent do you need it? The ones that are not totally transparent work best because of the coating that dries/adheres the ink to the substrate. I've had great success using the films from CGS-ORIS and the Fujfiilm branded film (Part F-SCHD36100). I used to use the Midwest "clear film with stripes" and had all kinds of ink adherence and rub issues.

Yes you are referring to the microporus coating which makes it milky. That coating is the best for this application, mine of course is the microporus lol. Chevalier would you mind testing my film to see what you think of the quality?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back