Best PDF Format from MS Word

Photobook

Hi All,
What would be the best format for printing to Digital Press from MS Word?
This would be a recommendation for both PC/Mac and all recent versions of MS Word. Would like to recommend one format whether it be a PDF/X format or PDF/A or any other recommendations?
Or is there no one format that covers both platforms and versions.
Any experience and advice is very much appreciated.

PDF/X is for print. PDF/A is for archival. Not all PDF files are created equal, so:

What version of MS Word?

Does this version of MS Word have a built-in or add on "save as PDF or XPS" plug?

Are you using Adobe Acrobat Pro installed on the same computer as MS Word?

Do you have some other PDF creator installed?

How are you actually creating the PDF file?

Best,

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Appreciate the info, but as I wrote earlier, this is not for any particular configuration.
I am trying to write a resource guide for creating PDFs from Word that can be used by all versions/platforms. I'll take from your response that there is not a one-workflow solution for Word and dependent on platform and version will require a unique workflow.

On another note you state PDF/A is for archival usage. What elements are missing that would prevent this format form being a useful format for high-resoltuion printing?
Thanks!

If I recall correctly PDF/X is a subset of PDF/A. There really isn't any particular need to convert a Word/Publisher file to PDF/X-1a, X-3 or X-4. As long as you can get a composite RGB PDF out of Word/Publisher/Office with as high resolution images as reasonably possible you should be fine. I suggest that you use "high quality print" settings. Then use Acrobat/PitStop/Callas pdfToolbox to massage from there.

Appreciate the info, but as I wrote earlier, this is not for any particular configuration.
I am trying to write a resource guide for creating PDFs from Word that can be used by all versions/platforms. I'll take from your response that there is not a one-workflow solution for Word and dependent on platform and version will require a unique workflow.

On another note you state PDF/A is for archival usage. What elements are missing that would prevent this format form being a useful format for high-resoltuion printing?
Thanks!

It all depends on the config, so there is no easy answer. Not all PDF files are the same in quality, depending on the source data and the PDF generation method. It is a good goal to come up with a set of best practices for your incoming work, however it is not always practical with all clients. One may be lucky to get whatever they are presented (even if it is a steaming pile of). You can search the forums for past topics where free PDF creators have been discussed.

So, the best answer is similar to what was stated in the following topic thread, where you will need a good editing tool to massage incoming PDF files.

http://printplanet.com/forums/miscellaneous-prepress-applications/26118-apple-iwork-pages

It is not what is missing from PDF/A so much - except if I recall correctly it is sRGB centric, rather than having press ready colours, output intents etc. I would hope that you have Acrobat Pro at the minimum, and hopefully have Callas PDF Toolbox, Enfocus PitStop etc.

Stephen Marsh

Unless Word and Excel have changed, their only option for output is RGB. This would make it impossible for these applications to write a PDF/x-1a file. The best thing you can do is to get a PDF with the fonts embedded. Once you have the PDF file (if your workflow isn't RGB) you can convert the RGB to CMYK and be on your merry way.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back