Best RIP for GS6000

jddzigns

Just got a GS6000. Love the printer. Hate the RIP it comes with. It comes with Colorburst 9.4.6. The software crashes in the middle of print jobs, automatically rearranges my layouts (leading to wasted a LOT of wasted canvas) and is full of bugs. I'm considering a new RIP. Any suggestions? What are the pros/cons?

3 good choices: Caldera, Onyx and Wasatch.

Wasatch is the easiest to operate, reasonable feature set and additional modules. Can handle up to 4 printers per rip. Can only rip and output one job at a time. Good cutter support. Runs on Windows

Onyx is more powerful using a Global Graphics Jaws rip engine. Largest predefined profile set. Not as easy to run as Wasatch but fine once you learn it. Good cutter support. Runs on Windows.

Caldera offers the largest feature set between the base license and modules. Allows you to prep jobs, output and rip at the same time. Base license includes 3 remote clients which can prep jobs for the one central rip. Unlimited number of printers per rip. Easy Media module helps you create media profiles without being a color expert. Adequate cutter support. Runs on OSX and Linux.

All of them start in the same price range and have videos or demos on the internet. Caldera.com - RIP software for large and grand-format peripherals, ONYX - Home Page and Wasatch Computer Technology, LLC - Wasatch RIP Software.

Great info! Thanks for the reply.

I thought Onyx runs on Mac too...or am I mistaken?

FWIW, Caldera has incredibly difficult GUI architecture and their included documentation is rudimentary at best, but it has a lot of functionality for wide format. Wasatch has maybe less functionality, but is much easier to use/parse and is better for textiles and DTG. Also, don't bite on the Caldera 'total color' spectrometer. It is a rebranded Barbieri Spectro, but you can't use the Barbieri Gateway software with it. Ha. Ha.

There are more RIPs than you can shake a stick at. The three mentioned, then EFI, ColorGATE, Serendipity, CGS, GMG, Mirage, ImageNest ... Your choice depends on your budget and the features you want.

Onyx runs only on Windows and is now APPE-based.

What market are you in and what is important to you in a RIP?

Colorburst is generally well regarded. I haven't ever heard of it crashing. Are you running it on a beefy machine?

Stay away from Wasatch. We have been using it on our GS 6000 now for 3 years. Profiles change for no reason. Their tech support is terrible. We end up having to fix almost all the issues we have had with their software because their techs are usually no help. We are currently looking to race our RIP but have not made a decision. We are looking mainly at the 3 listed above. By the way, we have had the same issues with Colorburst crashing in the middle of a print run.

There are more RIPs than you can shake a stick at. The three mentioned, then EFI, ColorGATE, Serendipity, CGS, GMG, Mirage, ImageNest ... Your choice depends on your budget and the features you want.

Onyx runs only on Windows and is now APPE-based.

What market are you in and what is important to you in a RIP?

Colorburst is generally well regarded. I haven't ever heard of it crashing. Are you running it on a beefy machine?

Our Colorburst crashes at least 50% of the time when you print 80 inches or longer. We changed to a Onyx and it has never crashed using the same box a quad core I7 with 10 gig of ram.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back