Best way to print black and white photography

If you want to print the K image in K only, a trick I use often is convert to LAB and then use only the L channel to make the proper level adjustments. Get rid of A and B totally. This often works better than any grayscale profiles.

Time to revive this thread!

I've got a really perplexing one. I have a huge folding carton (10" x 3" x 10") that basically has a huge "gray" image (think ansel adams but with a crosshatch texture pattern and other photoshop effects) image completely wrapping it. Submitted to me in CMYK (SWOP). This has to go on mid-grade SBS paperboard.

While we are GRACoL - G7 gray balanced (offset) I'm leaning towards duo-tone centrally due to the nature of the stock. Anyone out there produced anything like this before? When I did art-prints years back we did most of the work like this with duotones/tritones. I've had mixed success with CMYK.

chevalier,
here's a Photoshop action I built for 4 color grayscale images. The idea is that you want to limit (eliminate) the CMY in the highlight to mid-tone range. In the shadow end the resulting color casts aren't as noticeable.

Attachments

• 4 color Grayscale.atn.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 170

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back