Between Sheetfed Coated SWOP and Gracol2006

lnivin

This question makes more sense than the previous one . . .

When comparing some images saved as SheetfedCoated SWOP and GRACoL2006, the difference is big. On some images I've seen GRACoL2006 move most of the Cyan to the Black channel.

Is there a profile that is somewhere in between the two? That moves some of the Cyan, Magenta, Yellow to the Black channel, but not quite as drastically as GRACoL2006?

Is there a profile that is somewhere in between the two? That moves some of the Cyan, Magenta, Yellow to the Black channel, but not quite as drastically as GRACoL2006?

You may want to generate your own ICC profile selecting a more moderate level of GCR (or contact a vender/color consultant to generate one for you).

Last edited:

I think that is the wrong question Inivin ;]

I have been following your quest through many different forum posts for what must be a couple of weeks now.

It is all about what your press condition is targeting. Is it targeting a standard sheet fed condition such as Fogra39/ISO Coated or GRACoL C1? Or are you printing to your own “in-house specification”?

Pick which one it is.

If you can print to a standard condition, then use an ICC profile for the standard condition for your RGB to CMYK conversions (CMYK to CMYK conversions are generally best handled using a special devicelink profile).

If you print to your own “in-house specification” - then profile that condition and use that as the destination/output for conversions.

Then, once you know what condition is your target - you can then decide if you prefer working with a light GCR, medium GCR or a heavy GCR.

Stephen Marsh

Hmmmm. Our presses are printing to G7 standard. But my understanding is that has nothing to do with whether we are using GRACoL or Sheetfed CMYK. I know IDEAlliance suggest to use GRACoL or SWOP to work well with G7.

Is this getting me back on path?

There is no such thing as a G7 standard. If your presses were profiled using the G7 printing process, what standard was used as the target the presses were profiled for?

This question makes more sense than the previous one . . .

When comparing some images saved as SheetfedCoated SWOP and GRACoL2006, the difference is big. On some images I've seen GRACoL2006 move most of the Cyan to the Black channel.

Which do you actually mean, Sheetfed Coated or SWOP?
They are different.
SWOP is for web printing (Specification for Web Offset Printing).

Hmmmm. Our presses are printing to G7 standard. But my understanding is that has nothing to do with whether we are using GRACoL or Sheetfed CMYK. I know IDEAlliance suggest to use GRACoL or SWOP to work well with G7.

Is this getting me back on path?

Sort of…

Are your presses sheet-fed or web-fed? GRACoL and SWOP are two different print conditions. You need to work out what your press condition is and if it is targeting such an industry standard or is it “your own condition”.

I presume that you had a consultant come in and set your shop up with G7 calibration. Can you talk with them?

How do you maintain your system (process control, verification etc)? Do you have a spectrophotometer in prepress? Do you have a densitometer or spectrodensitometer in the press room?

Stephen Marsh

We're a sheetfed shop using GRACoL2006. Using an IT8.7 chart our plate curve was created to be G7 certified. Our proofer has a spectrophotometer built on to it. Pressmen use densitometers.

I'm finally figuring out that our path is to be GRACoL2006 instead of GRACoL2013. That seemed to solve a majority of our issues.

And thank you for your huge amount of help. I couldn't have gotten this far without all of the information!

We're a sheetfed shop using GRACoL2006. Using an IT8.7 chart our plate curve was created to be G7 certified. Our proofer has a spectrophotometer built on to it. Pressmen use densitometers.

I'm finally figuring out that our path is to be GRACoL2006 instead of GRACoL2013. That seemed to solve a majority of our issues.

And thank you for your huge amount of help. I couldn't have gotten this far without all of the information!

Do you have a hand held spectro capable of verifying the results from the press, or a press mounted spectro capable of the same?

Printing to GRACoL is more than just plate curves, although plate curves are a critical component.

Are your proofs simulating GRACoL? How is the proof to press/press to proof match?

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back