Biggest color gamut

drummerpaco

Good evening all,

It came to my attention that which printing method has biggest color gamut.
Litho < Flexo < Gravure ?

Some say Gravure has bigger color gamut than Adobe RGB.
To have bigger gamut, I think vibrant primary color need to be placed which that Adobe RGB has brighter than gravure CMYK.
But in other hand, printing in plastic substrate might create better contrast for the printed result.

What do you think???:cool:

Good evening all,

It came to my attention that which printing method has biggest color gamut.
Litho < Flexo < Gravure ?

Some say Gravure has bigger color gamut than Adobe RGB.
To have bigger gamut, I think vibrant primary color need to be placed which that Adobe RGB has brighter than gravure CMYK.
But in other hand, printing in plastic substrate might create better contrast for the printed result.

Here is a comparison of the Gravure gamut (in solid) and the Adobe gamut (in wireframe).

Gravure.jpg

Gravure can have a larger gamut than offset because you can put a great deal more ink on the substrate with gravure. I don't believe that anyone has ever published a comparison of the three processes maximized for gamut though.

best, gordo

Here is a comparison of the Gravure gamut (in solid) and the Adobe gamut (in wireframe).

Gravure.jpg

Gravure can have a larger gamut than offset because you can put a great deal more ink on the substrate with gravure. I don't believe that anyone has ever published a comparison of the three processes maximized for gamut though.

best, gordo
Gordon, is the RGB gamut a mathematical construction only or can a device produce it?

Inks ability to increase gamut I think, would it also be related to the purity of the CMYK inks?

I think it would be possible to put down a really thick ink film with offset but I am not sure the inks would print clean enough to extend the gamut that much more. Initially increase the gamut but at some point the saturation would drop off. I think. ???

Gordon, is the RGB gamut a mathematical construction only or can a device produce it?

Yes, it's a 3D representation derived from ICC profiles.

Inks ability to increase gamut I think, would it also be related to the purity of the CMYK inks?

Yes, purity of inks helps increase gamut.

I think it would be possible to put down a really thick ink film with offset but I am not sure the inks would print clean enough to extend the gamut that much more. Initially increase the gamut but at some point the saturation would drop off. I think. ???

Yes a thicker film of ink increases saturation and therefor gamut to a certain point after which gamut is reduced.

best gordo

Yes, it's a 3D representation derived from ICC profiles.

Yes, purity of inks helps increase gamut.

Yes a thicker film of ink increases saturation and therefor gamut to a certain point after which gamut is reduced.

best gordo
Gordon,

Also with gravure the overprint is done with dry trap while offset is done with wet trap. Dry trap due to the inter-station dryers would tend to increase the gamut of the overprint.

And then there is the whole issue of substrate. The things with gravure versus offset is the ability of gravure to print on different substrates that might help push that gamut even further.

Adobe98 is a mathematical construct.

Attached is an example of overinking. This is from an inkjet proofer. Notice how the green and blue suddenly dive straight down - saturation is not increasing, they're just getting darker.

The cyan, magenta, and red all exhibit nasty hue shifts at the periphery. Again, no real gain in saturation. Instead the hue is changing and getting darker. If more ink were applied you might even see these plots hook all the way around and lose saturation.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-08-08 at 9.53.40 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-08-08 at 9.53.40 AM.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 170
CRAP! I my screen grabs come out tiny on here. Try this one.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-08-08 at 9.53.40 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-08-08 at 9.53.40 AM.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 178
It seems the substrate also takes part of expanding gamut. As of Gravure/Flexo printing goes, the substrate would be clear PET12 film and it might help expanding it.

As general , I mean there will be Ink/Substrate/Drying(curing) condition/Viscosity/density issue as well, but in general, does anyone has gamut mapping comparison in Litho/Proofing(inkjet)/Flexo/Gravure/RGB?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back