Biodegradable/Natural Material Plastic

jlind

Has anyone in the audience had any offset or Indigo experience with plastics that are made from natural renewable materials or biodegradable plastics? My prospecting so far has turned up a PLA plastic that might be made from corn, and some polyethylene, polypropylene, and polystyrene that has additives that help them to break down into chunks. Any experiences with the above print processes?

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

The only thing I have come across were some envelope vendors who were selling window envelopes where the plastic window as made from corn. This is 19th century technology getting a second go around.

biodegradable plastic

biodegradable plastic

I use a plastic that has an additive in it enabling it to be landfill biodegradable- Green Film. It is not an oxy or PLA. Think about it- most products packaging ends up in the gabage. Neither of the first 2 can biodegrade in landfills. Oxy's need sunlight or high heat to break down into little pieces. PLA needs a commercial or municipal compost for it to break down. As there are about 90 in the US, chances of it ending up there are slim. Besides data shows PLA uses more fossil fuels than plastic. (they buy energy credits to off-set this- I got this off NatureWorks website.)
I print on my plastic all the time. i just corona treat.My coffee bag must have 6-8 colors on it.

I use a plastic that has an additive in it enabling it to be landfill biodegradable- Green Film. [snip] i just corona treat.My coffee bag must have 6-8 colors on it.

Out of curiosity...what is the chemical make-up of the the inks you print with that will be released into the environment as bag biodegrades?
I ask because I was once told by an engineer that it may be better to use non-degradable packaging over (for example) paper-based packaging because as paper biodegrades it releases potentially toxic ink substances into the environment while a plastic package keeps the chemicals locked-up.

best, gordon p

The inks are water based. I want products that leave no nasty surprises even after degrading. These films do not and are EPA certified as such.Check out the Larry's Bean"s Coffee website under coffee blends to see a variety of cool packages they carry.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back