Brisque Express - how is it hardware restricted?

Repro_Pro

I started by asking my very experienced Kodak Field Engineer but he can't remember, so before starting my Trial and Error experimentation, I'll try a long-shot:

Our Brisque ver.5 computer (nicknamed "Brisque Express" in its' time of glory - mid/end of the 1990's) is down, displaying errors relating to its' Backplane (Motherboard).
I decided to try to rescue it by moving its' hard disks into another, similar IBM computer (IBM p-series 7029-6E3).
I was told that the Brisques' software licenses are protected by being restricted to their specific machine namely,
at startup, the software will lookup to find/communicate with a specific piece of hardware.
My question is: WHICH H/W component is it?
In other words, which component from the old computer must accompany the HDDs so that the Brisques' software will function correctly in its' new computer.

Last edited:
With older equipment you could try some contact enhancer solution, that I have used with great success over the years. It's called Stabilant-22, and here is a link to a page describing it. Stabilant-22 Application Notes

If you got this stuff. Move everything back to the old hardware. Remove all boards, and clean their connectors, and then apply a very small amount of the Stabilant-22 to them. Plug everything back in, and you might get lucky.

I do not get paid for endorsing their product, I'm just a fan for over 25 years.

I started by asking my very experienced Kodak Field Engineer but he can't remember, so before starting my Trial and Error experimentation, I'll try a long-shot:

Our Brisque ver.5 computer (nicknamed "Brisque Express" in its' time of glory - mid/end of the 1990's) is down, displaying errors relating to its' Backplane (Motherboard).
I decided to try to rescue it by moving its' hard disks into another, similar IBM computer (IBM p-series 7029-6E3).
I was told that the Brisques' software licenses are protected by being restricted to their specific machine namely,
at startup, the software will lookup to find/communicate with a specific piece of hardware.
My question is: WHICH H/W component is it.
In other words, which component from the old computer must accompany the HDDs so that the Brisques' software will function correctly in its' new computer.
I seem to remember that the licence keys were generated using a hash which identified a number of hardware components, including NICs and TCP boards, there may also be other components included in the hash. I think the Font ID is also involved.
An engineer in Israel by the name of Barak Patel was the expert on all things Brisque, unfortunately I don't know where he is now.

Last edited:
@scotts
I am already using Stabilant 22, following your advice several years ago in a previous thread.
Seems very good indeed.
Many thanks.
BTW, since I was lucky to find a brand new, never used computer, I shall try my best to use it instead of the 20-odd years old relic...

Last edited:
@Magnus59
I was told that there was only one specific component, different one in different generations of computers.
And - the font ID is involved.
I'll try to find Barak and ask him.
Thank you.

The component you are looking for is TPM (Trusted Platform Module). I'm not sure if it can be transferred as it is soldered to motherboard in Brisques. NIC and TSP are not used as I had replaced them and machine would continue to work.

I was told Barak Paltiel retired about a year ago, but I was promised to get the answer next week.
I'll post my findings here after I try the switch.
BTW, in this platform it is not soldered to the motherboard, I had the original motherboard replaced twice, with standard IBM boards.
In my experience, this motherboard model isn't remotely as long-lasting as former IBM Brisque platforms.

Last edited:
I got stuck trying to install the OS from scratch.
Seems my Cold Boot diskette is not recognized, possibly dead.
Can anyone advise how to go about creating a new one?
I have the full set of CD's for installing AIX 5.1 and Brisque 5.1 and I want to try a full installation...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back