Canon C9075

Gypsy -

We have the Ricoh C-900. You can check my other posts for more detailed information, but we upgraded from lower end Konika equipment to this last spring. If you have specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Overall, we're pretty happy with the C-900. Color is beautiful for flyers, posters, etc - we have the Fiery RIP, and the spectrometer, but honestly don't need to calibrate often for our runs. We don't have the scanning/glass, but the print speed is 90 ppm, and it doesn't really slow down for heavier stocks. We run a lot of 12 point C1S through it - have to use the Large capacity drawers, but it runs pretty well. Solids are tricky - we've mostly had service calls to clean up run marks, and we had to have 2 drums replaced as there were marks on a specific project, but they were about due anyway.

We probably run 80-100% coverage on most projects. Toner can look oily on certain artwork/stock combos, but using a matte digital stock has helped. Also, there is an oil that has to evaporate, so some heavy coverage jobs don't look great straight off, but after drying, they are great.

Rhonda.
Thanks for the informations.
I knew that the C900 was a good choice but up here, in the very cold country, and with the exchange, the C-900 is aproximatly 30K more expensive and since my budget is a little tight right now, I think I will go with the 9075.
BUT, nothing is done right now and I will propably wait until the first week in January to make a move.
Since the Canon will not be available here until mid-December, by the time it's installed and the people are trained, it will be the Xmas holiday and not much is happening at this time.

b.t.w., nice web site...;)
I saw that you have 3 canons and now, you should change the old Konica for the C-900.:)

GypsyDriver.

Lol - you're right, I'll have to get after Sales and Marketing....

We do have the Canon's for B&W - we do a lot of VDP for fulfifllment & mailing, and the Canon's have been awesome for us, real workhorses.

Good luck with your purchase!

Rhonda

WARNING : the Canon ImageRunner C9075 is an office color multifunction machine
you are so obviously biased, if you want to appear impartial maybe you should change your profile pic. And get a clue, the new Canon iR ADVANCE is light production. Its a new unit just launched to fill the void they had when they retired it CLC line. The click charge is going to be more in line with what print shops have been getting from KM and Xerox and has the amazing quality of the imagePRESS line.

I just don't get this "amazing quality" claim that Canon make. When we were buying another digital press, we had our test prints done by all the major vendors and the ones that came back from Canon were not good. I sat down with Canon, showed them what was wrong with their test prints and they sorted out a new set. These were much better, very nice prints. I sat down again with Canon and went through their pricing proposal and got the claim that their machines were more expensive to run as they had a higher image quality. So, I showed them the test samples from HP, Xerox, KM and Canon. The HP samples were clearly better (but this comes at a price!), the other samples were all good and pretty much all as good as each other. Facts is facts and the Canon rep had to admit there was no way you could make any claims that any of the KM/Canon/Xerox were better than each other.

The 7000VP prints nice, but no nicer than the others.

I agree with lfelton, most of the print engines within the same price range print close to the same quality. Having choose between the Canon 7000VP and Xerox 8000AP, both were just about equal in print quality, Xerox had more to offer and Canon dropped the ball with me on a CLC4000 on my shop floor. Each manufacture has a strong point, your job is to find out what fits your needs.

you are so obviously biased, if you want to appear impartial maybe you should change your profile pic. And get a clue, the new Canon iR ADVANCE is light production. Its a new unit just launched to fill the void they had when they retired it CLC line. The click charge is going to be more in line with what print shops have been getting from KM and Xerox and has the amazing quality of the imagePRESS line.

I stand corrected.

When I first heard about this unit, I heard it was called Canon ImageRunner C9075, which is the brand name for office color.

This unit is actually called ImageRunner Advance, which is Canon's new brand name to enter the Light Production market.

Let's see if the machine can perform as it says.

New Canon matches up with the Konica and Xerox

New Canon matches up with the Konica and Xerox

The new 9075 pro is in the Canon lineup to compete with the Xerox 250, 252,253 and the Konica 6501 products. The Canon ImagePress is not in the same class and should be compared with the xerox 7000. Just because a company says a product is production (i.e. the konica) does not mean it will hold up. Sure it will do 300gm, but good luck when you have long runs and try to keep that stock moving through the machine.

The new Canon product has great quality and features. The new office model number is the 7065.

Advance C9075

Advance C9075

What I want to know is how much is this thing config'd with external fiery, large cap feeder and booklet finisher? Not just the MSRP. Anyone buy one yet?
We were just recently offered a deal on the Advanced C5051 for our small print shop to upgrade from our IRC 3200. Only when I found out the C5051 was not even light production did we rule it out and go toward X DC260.
$ for $ the C9075 may match up with the X 700 but it's an unproven box. Canon is still playing catch up in the light production market and only time will tell if this offering redeems Canon.

I don't know if the 7065 wouldn't have been a better match. I know they both duplex the same stock, the finishers are a wash. The 9075 may be the right one if you wanted more draws with the 300gsm...capability.

As far as the unproven comment. I would have to say five or ten years ago that makes sense, but the pre-testing that takes place should keep most of the problems at bay. The proven record with the Imagepress should also help ease any fears of the product. From what I have seen the new Canon machines looks like the top player in the Light Production arena. I believe there is also an effort to make the Creo available.

The other item that should help drive the new Canon Pro is the recent expansion of distribution via Oce'. I think the Konica 6501 and 55 ppm machines will be first on the list to be removed by Canon when the deal is complete.

Overall, Canon's product will increase their market share and make others redesign or upgrade products.

iR C9075

iR C9075

We purchased the 9065 model and have thus far been less than pleased. We've had a number of jamming issues from the large paper deck which makes it un-usable for any real printing. We've had it for one month and the technician is there 4 out of 5 days a week.

We could not even use it for a week due to a problem with the imaging belt not being rated for our altitude (7000 ft). They had an update that fixed the problem.

Currently the "developer housing" for the black toner has plugged and is not augering toner. The part is on back-order for a month and the technician is trying to limp us by (hence the daily service call)

I realize this is a new machine so there are likely to be bugs but A MONTH.

We like the print quality, and have successfully run some nice heavy gloss stock through it. I would have to say it slows down a lot on coated stocks. We're getting about 10 prints (12x18 12pt C2s) a minute on this 65 A4 page rated machine. Even our Xerox docucolor 250 puts out 12 sheets per minute on that stock.

There doesn't seem to be any system that the operator can use to adjust for skew and registration issues. You can program a certain movement into the paper catalog but it doesn't seem consistent from job to job. You are certainly reliant on the fact that you're loading the paper in the tray in the exact same position every time.

On a scale of one to ten I would say we are about a 4 with this machine overall. They will have to do a hell of a job to get us to buy another even if they get all the bugs fixed with software patches etc.

Hmmm

Hmmm

We did purchase Xerox DC260 w/creo & OHC feeder. This was the right choice for us. Service is very good so far (from local dealer not Xerox) and the machine is performing as good or better than expected. We have since realized a significant increase in digital color business. Thanks for the feedback on the Canon. Can you tell us how much you paid? roughly? What is your click rate? Did you get a single click rate for all or are you paying double for large sheets?

We paid 42K for a 9065 machine. Fiery Colorpass RIP, 100 sht staple finisher, scanner/doc feeder, EFI Color Profiler Suite, 3-drawer POD deck.

I almost wish we had chosen the single drawer POD deck so we could use the bypass on the machine. According to the print driver it can run a sheet up to 24" long. It's also the only tray you can run envelopes from.

cpc is 0.049 for color (single click tabloid), and 0.0089 for B&W

9065 Envelopes

9065 Envelopes

Just as an update to this machine...our technician was able to get our registration problems figured out. We decided it wasn't so much a registration problem as a inconsistent print size problem. We looked through the sheets from a run of 500 and every so often (very randomly) a sheet would be printed larger. For instance the print was supposed to be 12" long but instead was stretched to 12_1/8"...very strange....we had the tech scratching his head for a while. They ended up resetting the "DCON", some computer board back to factory settings and reloading and we have had no problems since.

There is still an issue with printing on uncoated stocks...prints look very mottled and crappy.

It does print beautifully on envelopes. We purchased the 3-drawer large capacity so we're limited on size of envelopes but we just ran a 200 count run of 6x9 envelopes, and a larger 500 count run of 9x12 envelopes and they looked great (no wrinkling). We've also run these sizes successfully on our Docucolor 250 but the color changes densitites on areas where the envelope seams make it twice as thick. The color on the 9065 was uniform across the envelope and the only thing that might still make it less than desirable ware pressure marks imprinting on the envelope from areas where the seams were...however they were not very noticeable...less than our Docucolor 250.

The imageRUNNER ADVANCE can fit in the office and production camps. It all depends on what finishing you put on it. Just a finsiher and it goes in the office nicely. Add the paper deck, folder, pro puncher and throw in the internal trimmer to the finisher and you have a light production machine.

Paper stock

Paper stock

We purchased the 9065 model and have thus far been less than pleased. We've had a number of jamming issues from the large paper deck which makes it un-usable for any real printing. We've had it for one month and the technician is there 4 out of 5 days a week.

We could not even use it for a week due to a problem with the imaging belt not being rated for our altitude (7000 ft). They had an update that fixed the problem.

Currently the "developer housing" for the black toner has plugged and is not augering toner. The part is on back-order for a month and the technician is trying to limp us by (hence the daily service call)

I realize this is a new machine so there are likely to be bugs but A MONTH.

We like the print quality, and have successfully run some nice heavy gloss stock through it. I would have to say it slows down a lot on coated stocks. We're getting about 10 prints (12x18 12pt C2s) a minute on this 65 A4 page rated machine. Even our Xerox docucolor 250 puts out 12 sheets per minute on that stock.

There doesn't seem to be any system that the operator can use to adjust for skew and registration issues. You can program a certain movement into the paper catalog but it doesn't seem consistent from job to job. You are certainly reliant on the fact that you're loading the paper in the tray in the exact same position every time.

On a scale of one to ten I would say we are about a 4 with this machine overall. They will have to do a hell of a job to get us to buy another even if they get all the bugs fixed with software patches etc.

We have the 9065 and have experienced similar issues to yours. The POD deck seams to be worthless. I have tried at least five kinds of dull coated cover and they do not feed with any consistency. I can get the same stock to feed through drawers 3 and 4 though even though the stock is coated. Of course I have to change the parameters in the paper catalog so that it registers as an uncoated stock.

I really can't believe all the issues we've been through at this point. I was a big fan when we first got it, but now I can't recommend it. I was really leaning toward the xerox 252, but was swayed to this mainly on the limitations of duplexing on the 252. The Xerox 700 was out of our price range, mainly because Canon was willing to buy out our old Ikon contract. I was also wary of the toner availability issues.

I really don't know where to go from here. The techs and salespeople don't seem to have any answers.

I echo all of your problems about quality of print on uncoated stock, poor feeding from the pod deck and registration issues that appear out of no where.:mad:

We have a 9065 and have been very unhappy. The issues with uncoated stock are unacceptable, despite the much hyped transfer belt replacement. Have you tried printing 4/4 on C1S stock? Looks awful.

Spots, lines, color variation from run to run, skewing from any tray other than the manual feed is making us crazy.

We're thinking of switching to a C1+. Anyone had any luck with that machine?

We have a 9065 and have been very unhappy. The issues with uncoated stock are unacceptable, despite the much hyped transfer belt replacement. Have you tried printing 4/4 on C1S stock? Looks awful.

Spots, lines, color variation from run to run, skewing from any tray other than the manual feed is making us crazy.

We're thinking of switching to a C1+. Anyone had any luck with that machine?

KimPal,

I am actually pretty happy with the color consistency. I do calibrate it often and do the drum, wire cleaning, etc when ever spots show up and it seems to take care of it. Most of the work that we do are small run posters, flyers and brochures.

I like the way it looks on dull coated stock, but it only runs out of 3 and 4. We spent a lot to get the pod deck, and the only thing it is good for is as a shelf! The pod deck only reliably feeds uncoated stock and, as you say, the quality on uncoated is far from acceptable.

We actually have an issue where the colors go out of registration after it has been running for a while. The mis-registration is not uniform however. If we are doing a two up brochure on 12 x 18, the cym might be above the crops on the top half of the sheet and below the crops on the bottom half with the k staying consistent. They have tried a number of things and it was good for a month, but now it is coming back sporadically. It happened again today at about sheet 180 of a 275 duplex run. It happened two sheets before it ran out of paper. It started doing its auto gradation and I put more stock in and it printed the rest of the run okay.

I am tired of trying different stocks and to feed. All the while I hear from my salesperson to give them a ream of the stock and they are sending it for testing. I am sick of hearing that, so I asked them to give me a recommendation on what stock to use. I've asked twice and they have totally ignored me.

I too went through the transfer belt replacement, but it didn't help the print. I really like our canon 7105 and before that the 105s. They are great machines and made me believe in canon. I don't think it is too much to ask to have acceptable quality on uncoated paper and to have our paper deck feed the stock it is spec'd to feed.

Good luck on your machine and let me know if they give you any solutions - I'll do the same.

We do auto gradation and calibration every time we change paper stocks. We have not done the wire and drum cleaning although we will try that. We feel like we're spending more time trying to run the job than actually running it.

I hear ya on the colors being out of register -- that's happened to us too. We've also asked several times about the recommended paper stock and haven't been given an answer. We've supplied lots of samples but reply we get on the uncoated stock issue: that's "optimal".

I know that Canon has issues to work out, but what are we supposed to do in the meantime?

BlueStreak - what kind of Rip do you have? The smaller one or the larger one? We have the smaller one and I'm wondering if that makes a difference.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back