Canon ImagePress C1 or Xerox Docucolor 5065?

Matt23

Hi
I am looking at purchasing a good second hand color copier for printing short run greeting cards, posters, flyers etc.
I have found 2 machines the first is a Canon ImagePress C1 which has done 84063 color prints & 82485 black/white prints for $5,000. The second machine is a Xerox Docucolor 5065 with a METER READING 1,589,484 for $11,000. If anyone has any advice on what machine to purchase it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!!

Last edited:
Hi
I am looking at purchasing a good second hand color copier for printing short run greeting cards, posters, flyers etc.
I have found 2 machines the first is a Canon ImagePress C1 which has done 84063 color prints & 82485 black/white prints for $5,000. The second machine is a Xerox Docucolor 5065 with a METER READING 1,589,484 for $11,000. If anyone has any advice on what machine to purchase it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!!

The Docucolor 5065 and 6075 are excellent machines for lightweight uncoated stock and the occasional runs on artpaper and artcard. However, if the 1.5M click are on card stocks, I would say stay away! The docucolor 5065 is just not built for that and probably is in very bad condition.

Thanks tppsg I thought the METER READING of 1,589,484 was a fair amount of clicks, do you know anything about the Canon ImagePress C1? Cheers

Thanks tppsg I thought the METER READING of 1,589,484 was a fair amount of clicks, do you know anything about the Canon ImagePress C1? Cheers

Not much I know about it. It is supposed to produce great quality colour just like the super slow Fuji Xerox DC 125x series. And the C1 is also another mighty slow device. The 125x series colour output is better than the DC 5065. But be warned that the 125x uses the older generation of toner which will produces super glossy and oily prints.

Stay away from the Canon C1 !!!!!

I can't stress this enough... It is a lemon and Canon recognise this... They will probably not put a second hand machine on a service contract or if they do, charge you high click charges...

I have a Canon C1 that i bought re-conditioned directly from Canon... After 18 months they now refuse to continue to service it (it was only 18 months old when i bought it)...

It is now basically a $20,000 (AUD) paperweight... Canon is a nightmare...

I cannot stress enough steer clear of the C1.... The parts are very expensive and the regularity in which they need replacing or adjusting for the volume it can produce are just out of proportion when compared to Xerox and Konica Machines, and this is why Canon do not want to keep servicing them... Of course the machines which they are contractually bound to they will keep servicing, but don't expect great service as the counters on our machine would regularly run into the 500% + before they replace the parts (they should be replaced at 100%)...

For a used machine they will probably refuse to service it so beware...

I agree with Natty. I love the print quality of my C1+ but it has not been reliable and needs tons of service. Here in Boston, Canon Business Solutions simply isn't equipped to service the machine. They seem to have neither the manpower nor the know-how. After a year and a half, and about 120k color clicks, the machine has been down for the better part of two weeks. Caveat emptor.

Natty, a question: How do I access the counters to determine when parts should be replaced?

You aren't supposed to know this, and don't let the techs know you know this but this is how you access 'service mode' on a Canon C1

1. Press 'additional functions'

2. Hold down '2' and '8' simultaneously

3. Press 'additional functions' again

You will get a light blue screen with a bunch of very cryptic codes, it has been a while so i can't remember what the codes mean so i will leave it up to you to work it out...

This is very handy if you want to empty your own waste toner cartridge as you just open up the back of the machine, empty the waste into a garbage bag, go into service mode and re-set the counter on it to '0' and presto, you don't need to wait for the tech!

Just a thought - If you had concidered a $11,000 look at Konica Minolta 6500 I thing that much will buy you nice machine. Just if you need to UV coat your prints, make sure that you or who ever is going to coat is ready for it as there are some specifics about couating output out of this particular machine.

THANK YOU NATTY!! Bought a service manual and entered service mode as you suggested. Canon Business Solutions, Boston has let the counter run up to 999% on multiple consumable parts. It's as if they're not even trying to keep it running.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back