Certification stickers

iganatz

Situation: boutique retouching studio, we service fashion and fine art photographers. Primary deliverables: SWOP, Fogra, and GRACoL proofs and files. Proofing system: GMG RIP, Epson 4900's with inline Spectroproofers.

We have a difficult new client who had an incredible list of demands for us to meet before they will send us advertising campaigns. We have been able to satisfy them on all issues but one: they're demanding that in addition to the IdeAllince color bars (which is standard on all our proofs LDO), we provide a "certification sticker" on the back of every proof. I've been working in boutique retouching for nearly 20 years, and this is the first time a request like this has occurred. I don't do ad releases or anything like that, we work only on loose imagery.

The agency through which we will be receiving work sent a photo of another vendor's sticker for our edification. It contains the name of the output profile (standard Fogra) followed by a list of measurements: average deltaE, max deltaE, primary (measured as deltaE), substrate (measured as deltaE), primary (measured as deltaH), and gray dH. After each item, it lists the tolerance for each and a check mark indicating that the proof measures within tolerance for each value and that the proof as a whole passes muster (in regards to these specs).

My question is, is this something that is standard in larger shops that have prepress departments? If so, is this something that I can have the GMG software perform in conjunction with the Spectroproofer or do we need to manually measure our color bars/charts with an external spectrophotometer?

Also, does this seem excessive to anyone? The point of the inline spectroproofing device seemed, at least to me, to save time and lessen the chance of human error when calibrating proofing systems. Am I uneducated in regards to this?

Cheers,

Adam Sanders

This is a standard feature of many proofing systems that provide "certified proofs".

Using a spectro to calibrate is one thing. Using a spectro to verify that the proof printed passes an industry specification is another. Without the label nobody would know what the conditions were when the proof was measured. Even when a system is calibrated a proof may fail certification for various reasons.

We are distributors for CGS ORIS Colour Tuner // Web and Kodak Matchprint Inkjet systems. Both use labels to show the dE tolerances for key colours of the proof (substrate, primary, neutrals, secondary overprints etc). If one is using an inline spectro, then the label is printed directly on the proof. If one is using an offline spectro, then one requires a Dymo labelwriter for the stickers. One has the option to have a single colour bar/label for the entire nested sheet if printing multiple jobs, or one can have a separate colour bar/label for every job on the sheet.

I am sure that GMG, EFI and the other main players offer the same features. This would likely be a license upgrade feature if you don't currently have it.

I'll post a couple of images from CGS and Kodak proofs for your reference.

EDIT: Sample Kodak & CGS proof label samples (printed inline on the 9900 proof, not using a separate label printer).

Stephen Marsh

Attachments

• cert-labels.jpg
    cert-labels.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
You need GMG proof control module which will then measure and print the certification info inline, no need to print out separate label.

forgive my ignorance, but may I ask what is the point of these validation stickers? in the print shop i work in, we are about to be G7 certified, dongle is going in my computer, new rip will be connected to our epson9880. we are getting this set up today hopefully. will i need these labels you guys are talking about for every proof? is it just for the customers peace of mind?

forgive my ignorance, but may I ask what is the point of these validation stickers? in the print shop i work in, we are about to be G7 certified, dongle is going in my computer, new rip will be connected to our epson9880. we are getting this set up today hopefully. will i need these labels you guys are talking about for every proof? is it just for the customers peace of mind?

Mostly previously explained in post #2 above.

Some shops run them once per scattered/nested proof form or impo (one colour bar/media wedge and one certification label). Some shops run them once per scattered/nested job on the form (multiple colour bars/media wedges and multiple certification labels). Some shops run them once at the start of the day and after lunch as in internal process control measure. It depends on the shop, the shop's customers, proofing accuracy requirements etc.

G7 I believe is one thing (method, a means to an end) - will you be printing to GRACoL, SWOP, Fogra 39 or some other specification (target print condition, usually an industry spec. or a house spec.)? Depending on the proofing system, custom house press conditions could also be have certification labels applied.

http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/G7_Myths

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back