check Output Intents in Acrobat

What do you actually want to check about the Output Intent?
That one is there, what ICC profile is used or something else?

Please be aware, that the Output Intent is not necessarily has the same name (or syntax) than the profile used. The Acrobat check is basically a text search, which looks up the defined character string in the PDF metadata.

Example: you could have a valid PDF/X document with the Output Intent "FOGRA39" by embedding "ISO Coated v2 (ECI)", "ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI)" or "Coated FOGRA39 (ISO 12647-2:2004)" profiles. That means, if you want a bulletproof solution, you have too search for all the possible names.

On top of that, from PDF 2.0 on, each page can have a different Output Intent in a document.

What do you actually want to check about the Output Intent?
That one is there, what ICC profile is used or something else?
well... for starting, just to know if there is such could be good to me.

Example: you could have a valid PDF/X document with the Output Intent "FOGRA39" by embedding "ISO Coated v2 (ECI)", "ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI)" or "Coated FOGRA39 (ISO 12647-2:2004)" profiles. That means, if you want a bulletproof solution, you have too search for all the possible names.
Yes, you are right: there are many ICC profiles based on the same Characterization data reference but e.g. with different black start or TAC.

I'm really missing how to start (and how to go on) to create that kind of check in Acrobat.
I need to check if the file has an output intent.
Also I'd like to build some automation to remove it.

Last edited:
The name is actually pretty useless, as somebody could make profile with the same name, but it would not be the same profile.
Some applications with check the MD5 hash of the profile to check it is the same, I believe that method is recommended by the ICC.

Not sure if it's in Acrobat as I have Callas Toolbox installed as well, but I have a fixup 'Remove Output Intents'

Not sure as I have both installed, but search in your fixups and see if you have it.

You can indeed manipulate the Output Intent in a stock Acrobat Pro: eg. you can remove the ICC profile, or remove the OI altogether.

@Dario - what problem are you trying to solve - do you have some old RIP that does not have a setting to ignore the output intent ?

you wrote "Also I'd like to build some automation to remove it."
- most RIPs have a setting that can either honor, preserve, ignore, or replace.

Made in Preflight AcrobatProX on MacOS10.5.8

import them in Acrobat Preflight for trying...

Attachments

• Archiv.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 213

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back