Clear Toner for Ricoh 7100SX

cmitchprint

We've had this machine about 2.5 years and just now ran out of clear toner. We'd like to use it more but it is just not economical. I don't even advertise it for a charge up because lamination is much cheaper. To decorate an 11 x 17, we figured it is costing about .22 a copy. They want nearly $400 for a cartridge. Is there a more reasonable source for this toner? This stuff is just too expensive to be conducive in the printing industry. Maybe for a small spot of white or clear.

$400 seems pretty reasonable. We run an Iridesse and the specialty toners are similarly priced. We have a tool built into Fiery that will estimate the cost of each toner based on coverage and quantity. We've never had a client complain about the price. Are you using clear toner as a substitute for lamination?

Man, you must be getting a good discount, the specials are $475 for me.

Service tech warned us that even if we did find it cheaper it would void the warranty on the machine if we used non-oem.

I'll admit I have zero experience with clear toner but my gut is telling me your company isn't marketing/utilizing it correctly.

To me it's very much a show your customer what it can do and here is the price for it. Very much an upselling tool which should pay for itself.
I find more often you have to show clients cool effects/products, rather than them asking do you do it.

I really have never heard of it being compared to laminating, that seems an incorrect use for it. I know both offer protection but the lamination would very much change the feel of the product where I'd imaging the clear toner would maintain the stocks natural characteristics.

My advice would be to create a specific marketing portfolio showcasing what can be achieved with the clear toner to show clients.

I know if my company installed a new machine tomorrow with clear toner I'd have zero use for it unless I got out there to drum up the business and show my current clients what I could do on their next job.

I have had clear/white toner for over 5 years now, this is very much the case. You also need a skilled Graphic Designer and or clients with one who can take advantage of the specials. Selling it to the customer and getting them to see the benefits is the hardest part. They will not be mom and pop shops, trust me, think higher end and government/education (if they have the budget) or boutique stores that sell high end products.

I'll admit I have zero experience with clear toner but my gut is telling me your company isn't marketing/utilizing it correctly.

To me it's very much a show your customer what it can do and here is the price for it. Very much an upselling tool which should pay for itself.
I find more often you have to show clients cool effects/products, rather than them asking do you do it.

I really have never heard of it being compared to laminating, that seems an incorrect use for it. I know both offer protection but the lamination would very much change the feel of the product where I'd imaging the clear toner would maintain the stocks natural characteristics.

My advice would be to create a specific marketing portfolio showcasing what can be achieved with the clear toner to show clients.

I know if my company installed a new machine tomorrow with clear toner I'd have zero use for it unless I got out there to drum up the business and show my current clients what I could do on their next job.
If you are the original lessor or owner of the machine you should have, but may not have, received a 5th color marketing kit from Ricoh, which your sales rep would have ordered for you. It has a whole lot of print samples as well a guide for creating 5th color designs and a changing 5th color guide. Message me if you have trouble getting ahold of your production sales rep.

Think you quoted wrong post. I'm not lucky enough to have this press.

I'm actually impressed Ricoh provide such a pack, sounds exactly what the op needs.

$400 seems pretty reasonable. We run an Iridesse and the specialty toners are similarly priced. We have a tool built into Fiery that will estimate the cost of each toner based on coverage and quantity. We've never had a client complain about the price. Are you using clear toner as a substitute for lamination?
Substitute for lamination only in a crunch. We occasionally do spot clear on matte paper which is pretty sharp. Clear here for 359. 828478 Ricoh Pro C7110 C7100 Clear Toner 828343

We aren't marketing it at all. We bought the machine to replace a 751EX. It just happened to have 5th color capability. We print 90% books so it isn't like we try to market it but I guess we could. What few clients I have shown it to do not seem to be impressed. I even did one job where we soft touch laminated the cover and ran it back through with clear over the title of the book.

It isn't comparable to laminating at all. Only in a crunch where customer wants an extra gloss but not enough copies to justify lamination. It is not even comparable to UV. Just doesn't lay a heavy coat even if you adjust density darker.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back