Cmyk image, profile conversion 4col black

snrv

Hi,
Iam facing a issue that is customers are supplying total ink around 320, but for web machine it needs around 240-270, we are able to do with acrobat preflight. The issue is even all raster cmyk objects black colour elements are converting to 4 col black, but the vector objects in 100% black. How can I preserve 100% black in cmyk images.

In the color conversion fixup of the Preflight Profile that you use to make the color conversion you have an option to convert only pixel images. This will leave the technical colors (text, vector objects, shapes etc.) untouched. Hope that works for you!

Last edited:
ASchuett,

I don't think that's what he needs. He said that his vector objects are fine but that his pixel images are converting to 4C blacks. I'm guessing something along the lines that raster black type is possibly converting to 4C?

Erik

If you're doing a CMYK to CMYK conversion via traditional ICC color management (CMYK ->LAB -> CMYK), you risk generating 4C blacks in your images. You need software which can apply a GCR curve or perform an device-link profile conversion. You could manually fix the images in Photoshop, but if have more issues, check out other file optimization solutions such as Fixmyprintfile, Pitstop, Alwan, etc.

Greg

You have a number of controls available in your Preflight profiles that can more precisely control what gets converted and what gets left alone.

You also can apply device link profiles with PitStop or Callas.

Working in a web environment, Alwan CMYK Optimizer is a good choice. Contact me offline if you want to discuss it.

Okay, now I understand the problem. You could try the Convert Document Colors Tool in Acrobat Pro to convert to your CMYK profile. To prevent the Rich Black in your pixel images, there are three options in this dialogue: Preserve Black, Promote Gray to CMYK Black and Preserve CMYK Primaries. This is only a quick and dirty option, though. Maybe it helps, maybe not. But as the others already have suggested device link profiles are the cleaner and more performant way for CMYK to CMYK conversions.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back