Coated and uncoated profiles

Bashv

I had a bad experience with a printer (which I've discussed on this forum), so I'm trying to find another one near me (or relatively near me).

I contacted one and I told them that I want to print on uncoated paper and they told me that my work should be in PSO Coated v3 (FOGRA51). But that's for coated paper. Is this normal or these guys are incompetent like the previous ones?

But note that when you call a printery or you drop them an email, the person who answers is most often not a tech person, but a salesperson.

Logically, I expected them to say something like PSO Uncoated (FOGRA52). I thought that every PSO-certified printery offers FOGRA51 (coated) & 52 (uncoated), but maybe I'm confusing something.

Thanks

A file tagged with the ICC profile for the final output conditions is not telling the printer how you expect it to be printed, it is defining how the file should look on the final output device when viewed on a properly calibrated and profiled monitor or printed/proofed on a properly calibrated and profiled device. It is also used when converting files from one colour space to another.
If you are supplying files in CMYK, they will be printed using the values defined in the file, with curves applied to account for mechanical dot gain.
Tagging your CMYK files with the output profile for the machine it will be printed on will not change those values, the profile is for you to be able to visualise the final CMYK output on your RGB monitor providing you are using the correct profile for the monitor.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back