Color Contract Proof - Printer Recommendations?

jbingaman

Hi all,

I have been assigned the task of finding a 'low cost' alternative to producing CCPs. We currently use a Fuji Luxel Final Proof 5600 and would continue to use that for those clients who require it, but it is my understanding that there are much lower cost solutions out there these days that can accomplish the same thing. I'm not sure what type of printer it is supposed to be to qualify as a CCP...dye sub? Inkjet?

Do any of you fine folks have any recommendations? And if so, why would you recommend it? Any and all details are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
-Jeremy

Re: Color Contract Proof - Printer Recommendations?

Hi Jeremy,
We made the transition from Fuji Final Proof to Epson x800 series inkjet proofs using GMG's Colorproof. The Epson x880 series is even better from my understanding.
Purchasing GMG made the transition smooth and our proof to press match has never been better. The profit margin on the inkjet proof is excellent and ROI is quick.
GMG also has a Dot Proof option for inkjet if you suffer separation anxiety because of no dots!
Best regards,
Todd

Thanks Todd!
I had heard many good things about the Epsons, but wasn't sure what piece of software would make the transition as painless as possible.
I'll look into this further.

Thanks again!
-Jeremy

We use Serendipity's Black Magic (from Fuji) with Epson printers (from Fuji). The Black Magic polls the ripped plate data and makes a dot proof. For cmyk, it is amazingly close and also can tint the base (as do others) to suit various stock colors. This is very important when printing pastel colors on recycled paper or cardboard and getting sign-off.
A feature we do not use is the page deimposition and reimposition (for a booked proof) that I hear some people raving about. Plus BM can make pdfs from the plate data so really we're dealing with a true ROOM workflow!

It took me one year (all between jobs) to adjust and perfect all the Pantone spot colors to as close as possible to the book (I used the Color Bridge and made sure that my proofs of PMS colors were as good as the cmyk in that book or in many cases, better, ie; it landed between the actual spot color and the book's cmyk). This when we decided that the default match

The BM and Epsons are now our standard proofing system and not one signle job has been bounced in over four years! . A note here that the newer Epsons use a strong magenta which makes for closer pms colors in some cases but that magenta is not swop nor GraCol so the update of software from BM is needed to recreate the colors. If you are stuck with old Epsons and new Epsons, be careful; they all must be separately profiled and different page set ups used at BM to conquer color issues.

BTW, there is a Final Proof match in BM so that might be a big consideration as you stated you would use FP for those who would pay.

John W

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back