ColorMatch Sucks, Don't Touch my file!

PantherMac

I've been having trouble w/ Prinergy massaging my colors for me. Don't want it to. However, you can't do beans w/ the RIP w/o color-matching (which is where it's screwing w/ my colors!).

Is there a way to have a refine profile that won't touch my colors? Just pass through what's there, don't massage anything...
Don't say "just turn color matching off"... because then the file is FUCKING USELESS to Prinergy (wants it color matched before it can trap, which, lets face it, is the only other thing the damned RIP's good for).

Thanks... Sorry.. been a rough week. LOL!

- Mac

If I understand what you are saying, you are having an icc profile conversion happening in the ColorMatch section of a refine process template??

It looks like our template is set to override embedded profiles, nothing checked to assign, convert to some form of SWOP profile. This results in no color conversion happening. I remember a message in the refine process that says the SWOP profile has been "applied" and that never sat well with me. It is similar to assigning a profile in photoshop, it does not change the cmyk values but gives prinergy a reference to work with.

Bret

If I understand what you are saying, you are having an icc profile conversion happening in the ColorMatch section of a refine process template??

It looks like our template is set to override embedded profiles, nothing checked to assign, convert to some form of SWOP profile. This results in no color conversion happening. I remember a message in the refine process that says the SWOP profile has been "applied" and that never sat well with me. It is similar to assigning a profile in photoshop, it does not change the cmyk values but gives prinergy a reference to work with.

Bret

Hi Bret,

Thanks, yes, that's it exactly, except I'm getting color conversion!!!!!!
Specifically I have a light black tint that's getting converted to rich (CMY). PDF from InDesign separates fine, so I had to trap the damned piece by hand! If you turn color conversion off, Prinergy Won't trap. In my case, it's massaging the color values. Normally (4/C work) it's not a big deal (prints a little fuller in some colors, but nothing drastic). For 2-Color work however, K --> Process is a real problem.

I can't believe there's no way to pass the file through un-molested! Gawd, I hate geeks in the lab that live their live's in a vacuum.

- Mac

Even with those settings, you are getting a conversion?

I guess the other thing you could do is set the same profile as the source and destination, creating a null conversion. Prinergy should recognize it and not convert.

Bret

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back