Colour Managment advice needed

nikleon71

Hello, i am currently working in a printing company , with two offset machines Rolland 700 and 800 i am doing all the prepress work using an Harlequin rip V12.0 with a prepage it workflow i want to implement colour managment in the processes and i want to ask you what steps should i follow what hardware and software you advice i needed. My goal is to take account Coated and uncoated papers that have different "whites" and if hot lamination applies to the final product and changes overall the final result. My target is an approved Fogra colour proof i usally take from the client so i have to much the best uppon the above criteria. What i am doing now is to create a tone curve by expirience in the rip and change percentage in colours this is guesswork. Any advice or correction would be appreciated at the most.

Having done this and provided consulting of same I will say there are probably significant upfront costs and definite benefits to what you are attempting.

First best step - hire/find someone who knows color systems and:

1. Speaks your native language (if possible)
2. Is located geographically close
3. DOESN'T currently work for any major vendors (optional)

You should know that a vendor rep will most definitely be biased as to solutions they provide.
If you are conscious of their bias then go ahead and get a vendor rep to come see you and prepare a proposal.
Better still get two vendors to provide proposals.

Then share the outlines of the proposals with the RELEVANT sales, prepress, and press personnel.
Make the 'best' choice available and continue learning the trade.
My 2c's.
YMMV

Having done this and provided consulting of same I will say there are probably significant upfront costs and definite benefits to what you are attempting.

First best step - hire/find someone who knows color systems and:

1. Speaks your native language (if possible)
2. Is located geographically close
3. DOESN'T currently work for any major vendors (optional)

You should know that a vendor rep will most definitely be biased as to solutions they provide.
If you are conscious of their bias then go ahead and get a vendor rep to come see you and prepare a proposal.
Better still get two vendors to provide proposals.

Then share the outlines of the proposals with the RELEVANT sales, prepress, and press personnel.
Make the 'best' choice available and continue learning the trade.
My 2c's.
YMMV
Thats why i am writing here to take some opinions and advices from proffetionals, and the way they acehive it , colour systems its nothing uknown for me, you are right about ventors they are thinking their own benefits and i like third parties solutions. thank you .

Hello, i am currently working in a printing company , with two offset machines Rolland 700 and 800 i am doing all the prepress work using an Harlequin rip V12.0 with a prepage it workflow i want to implement colour managment in the processes and i want to ask you what steps should i follow what hardware and software you advice i needed. My goal is to take account Coated and uncoated papers that have different "whites" and if hot lamination applies to the final product and changes overall the final result. My target is an approved Fogra colour proof i usally take from the client so i have to much the best uppon the above criteria. What i am doing now is to create a tone curve by expirience in the rip and change percentage in colours this is guesswork. Any advice or correction would be appreciated at the most.
You need a plate reader to calibrate your rip, then using a spectrometer combined with curve software to do the press calibration, this is usually G7 calibration tun in US, about spectrometer, plate reader I highly recommend techkon brand

You need a plate reader to calibrate your rip, then using a spectrometer combined with curve software to do the press calibration, this is usually G7 calibration tun in US, about spectrometer, plate reader I highly recommend techkon brand
Thanks for your expert advise , the G7 calibration is something i was looking for.
Best regards

As far the rip workflow you know what is more appropriate to covert the pdf Colour profile or doit in rip session?

As far the rip workflow you know what is more appropriate to covert the pdf Colour profile or doit in rip session?
this is usually done in a color server thro devicelink, convert input profile to your own press profile, but most of time standard g7 should be good enough coz press profiling is really not easy. A book named "digital color management" by jan-peter homann, will give you general ideas how color management works, you can also download a free copy "guide to print something" from techkon USA website by G7 guru Ron Ellis, I forgot the exactly title but on their website you can't miss it, good luck

The RIP does all the management if set up correctly. Learn what each piece of software should do and then manage them appropriately. A good book about color management options might help inform your decisions.

this is usually done in a color server thro devicelink, convert input profile to your own press profile, but most of time standard g7 should be good enough coz press profiling is really not easy. A book named "digital color management" by jan-peter homann, will give you general ideas how color management works, you can also download a free copy "guide to print something" from techkon USA website by G7 guru Ron Ellis, I forgot the exactly title but on their website you can't miss it, good luck
Thank you for your really usufull info, i have already order a book "real world color Managment: intrustrial -strenth productions techniques by bruce" those was an advice from chatgtp
What i am curius of is how this method the procedure will solve the problem i have.
For excample client brings an approved colour proof made with Fogra 39 profile and we print in eurostock paper R290 that its off white with grain so colour gamut is smaller also when job is laminated at the end the light colours dor gain is higher.
With G7 method whats the logic behind it ?. Create a profile for this kind of paper ( or use a generic if exist) and then make a proof in specific 250gr satin paper that emulate colours and paper tone to the final press intended result?
My target is to saw the client the final result before it prints i am sure it will have differnces with his fogra 39 proof still it will be a scientific way to explain it.
Or doenst work like that and i am wrong .
Also can i make profile in print paper with hot lamination? the method can count this factor too?

Thank you for your really usufull info, i have already order a book "real world color Managment: intrustrial -strenth productions techniques by bruce" those was an advice from chatgtp
What i am curius of is how this method the procedure will solve the problem i have.
For excample client brings an approved colour proof made with Fogra 39 profile and we print in eurostock paper R290 that its off white with grain so colour gamut is smaller also when job is laminated at the end the light colours dor gain is higher.
With G7 method whats the logic behind it ?. Create a profile for this kind of paper ( or use a generic if exist) and then make a proof in specific 250gr satin paper that emulate colours and paper tone to the final press intended result?
My target is to saw the client the final result before it prints i am sure it will have differnces with his fogra 39 proof still it will be a scientific way to explain it.
Or doenst work like that and i am wrong .
Also can i make profile in print paper with hot lamination? the method can count this factor too?
that book is pretty much written for a photographer or a designer. doesn’t like the one I recommended, which is for guys in prepress field, about G7, it is just what we use in US, new standard for euro should be fogra51, calibration should be the same just different final target, you can configure it to match your requirement in Curve software

that book is pretty much written for a photographer or a designer. doesn’t like the one I recommended, which is for guys in prepress field, about G7, it is just what we use in US, new standard for euro should be fogra51, calibration should be the same just different final target, you can configure it to match your requirement in Curve software
Curve software is something specific or its part of the G7 calibration

hello my name is Christian Vergara,
I have experience in this.implementation
Iso or G7 standar.

If.need consulting about this, i have experience in this software Harlequin and color management implementation.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back