Connecting AB Dick 1200 (Astro 2000)

Hi,

I'd really appreciate any help from people with experience with this envelope feeder.

We have two Heidelberg machines we want to get working with the AB Dick 1200 envelope feeder(QM 46-1 & QMDI 46-4).

We bought this envelope feeder a few years ago and it has sat in storage till now. I can switch the machine on and manually feed envelopes however I cannot figure out how to get it to automatically feed. I downloaded a manual which refers to a pulse generator (which did not come with our feeder). Is this part compatiible with the Quickmaster? and if so how is it connected to the QM if we can buy one?

We'd really appreciate any advice on this subject.

Andrew

Quick master does not have a timing kit for that feeder. You just set the envelope to feed slightly faster then the press is running. Your goal is to get the envelope to the end of the feed table before the suckers from the press come down and pick it up. You just run it in the manual mode

The pulse generator mounted to the gears on the non operator side of the 9800. The bracket and gear is specific to the AB Dick.Running in manual should work but will take a little patience on your part to get the speed just right.

Thanks for the info!

Once setup are these envelope feeders reasonably good / realiable?

I only ask as this is our first dedicated envelope feeder.

Thanks again for your fast reply!

It's pretty much like setting up a register board on a press. Envelope quality is important. Low quality envelopes can drive you crazy.Otherwise they feed pretty well.

Thanks guys for all the information I'll give it a stab I just didn't know it had to be run manual mode However we've had it feeding envelopes independent of a printing press and it seems quite simple

Andrew

Like anything practice will make it work. The sheet separators need to be set right and the back gauge should have a little play in it. Sucker placement is critical on some envelopes. Sometime too many envelopes on the feeder pile will give you problems. Once you have all this figured out then you are set. I ran a feeder for 8 years and I really miss not having one now. running envelopes non stop reduces waste and allows you to keep color consistent. Small envelopes usually run water heavy so the start of the run the ink is way too dark and by the end of the run it is washed out. You may have to play with your water settings so you can run drier. The settings in the manual are designed for running full sheets. After awhile you may have to set these settings so you run normally at 2 or 3 and run envelopes at 1. Be patient and creative with the feeder. Our old operator never used it so the boss sold it. Sure wish it was here now.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back