QM46/2 with Astro 1200

RGPW17100

We may be getting an older Astro for our Quick master. I am curious what you do to the side guides on the press. I am guessing you have to open them all the way on the feeder to fit the feeder but then the delivery joggers are all the way out. Is there a trick to this or is the way to Jury Rig this. Also currious will this unit work on the Quick Master. It is an older model

AB DICK Astro 1200 Envelope / Card Feeder - NO RESERVE! | eBay

Last edited:
After watching my press run with the feeder cover off so I can see the air tank I am worried that if the feeder handle does not lock in that the feeder board will come up while the envelope feeder is attached and could cause some serious damage. I am thinking if I install a switch in parallel to the switch attached to the feeder pile handle I can manually disconnect the feed so the pile will not go up. Is there an easier way or is this a route I should follow

It isn't enough of an angle that you would see it in that video. It must be adjustable.

The feeder should come with one of these that stop the pile from coming up too high.

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/nhprinter/photobucket-8414-1319707776829.jpg

You set your pile height to max and when the bail bar hits the top of this bar....the pile will stop coming up and you'll get a green light so you can feed. The reason an angle is needed on a QM is so the bail bar doesn't hit the envelope feeder.

NOTE: I'm only guessing that the Astro works the same way as the Press Specialties that we have. It may be different.

Last edited:
Envelope feeder

Envelope feeder

nhprinter is correct with regards to the stand for the bail bar to touch. This tells to press that the table is at the correct height to run sheets. The table will not come up anymore. Also correct with the tilting of the feeder. I believe Astro makes one that tilts I don't know if your model is the one. Press Specialities C-9000 is tiltable. The reason you need the tilt is the press table is tilted and the press sucker feet are 90 degrees to this angle. However you don't need to exactly match the angle of the press. Flat might work on most envelopes. You will have more problems with the larger envelopes 10 X 13 etc.

env feeder.jpg

After some doing we finally got the feeder to work on the QM46. This one was orginally for a AB Dick. we had to grind off the clamp assembly and slightly modify the side guides and the feeder tail roller assembly so that that the pile bar would not hit the feeder. Also had to put it on a wooden platform so the feet would not hit the press compressor. It seems like a lot of messing around but it works real nice now. We also had to use bungy cords to hold it firm against the press and build a pile height bar out of wood to put the press in production mode. Friday I ran 8000 number 10 envelopes in 1 hr 15 min. Also ran 6x9 catalogs (two color quan 9000) in 1.5 hours. I have a 20K run of number 9 and number 10 envelopes coming in and cant wait to run this. I am currently running at 8 K per hour without a problem. On the 20K run I want to try and get it up to 9K. I was warned that running at 10K the circuit board can exceed 200 volts and can burn out so I am a little reluctant to go full speed.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back