Considering a 29 - any advice appreciated

emprint

I am just beginning the initial research into purchasing a 23"x29" or a 20"x28" (preferably 23"x29"), 5 color.

I would appreciate any opinions about the different presses out there.

Also.... pros and cons for new or used would be great.

Thank you in advance.

I am in the UK and run 3 Heidelberg "28" wide presses

To answer your question I would either go for a 5 colour second hand CD 74 (28") with in line coater or the new CD 75.
The reason for the coater is the turnaround speed - the sheet can be backed up straightaway and then go througth the bindery

All the best Peter

Internal R&D - thank you for the reply - and I will keep it in mind.... but my work really calls for a 5color + coater. If something should change I will contact you.

Peter - thanks for the post and the advice. I agree about the coater... and would need it (I should have put that in my original post).

Peter - with energy consumption and carbon footprints in mind - how much extra juice do you estimate turning on the coater uses? We looked at buying a KBA 5 colour with coater a year ago and I was astonished at how much power the coater drew.

emprint - sorry to hijack your thread :) We're still undecided whether to go up a format size in current market conditions, so have held off buying another new (litho) press this year. However, when we expressed an interest to several manufacturers at the start of the year, it was clear then that it was a buyers market. I can only imagine what it's like now, but if you have the cash or finance in place, then there will be some fantastic deals and I can't imagine how buying used would make better financial sense. We were particularly impressed by the new Komori S29 and the MAN Roland 500. A Heidelberg 74CD has got to be considered, although their sales techniques are unusual - after just one meeting with Heidelberg they told several mutual aquaintances that they had sold us a 74CD. You've got to admire the confidence!

You have to weigh it up against the hours you waste on presses waiting for ink to dry and then when it gets in the bindery - its the same - you then get into courier costs etc because you are late. I print about 100 sets of colour a day over my 3 presses - without a coater it would be impossible

thank you for all of the feedback.

It seems in my search I am also giving thought to a 14x20.

lfelton...
just curious... when you refer to 'fantastic deals' for a new press from the manufacturers... are you referring to a certain percentage below list price? Or some sort of great financing arrangement (deferred payments / low interest)?

If you have any info that might be helpful when talking to manufacturers (deals I should expect or ask for) - that information would be great.

Thank you.

I am both an owner, and an operator (prefer the latter).

I absolutely love my CD74 and my SM52. A blast to run, IMHO.

Just my .02, ymmv.

WW

Thank you for all of the replies.

I am back to leaning toward the 29".

The two that seem to be front-runners in my mind are the Roland 200 and the KBA 66 (I know, its a 26" - thats fine).

If anyone has opinions on those two I would appreciate them.

It seems (unless I am mistaken), neither has a dedicated coater.... rather a combo unit / coater. Not sure if I am too keen on that, or if I shouldn't be that concerned?

Internal R&D - wish yours was 5 + coater (or sixth unit).... we would be talking right now. :)

Not sure about the current Roland 200, but had a 202 in the mid 90's.

Have never missed the press - not for one day. Traded it for an SM52/2 and shut the 200 down 6 weeks later. Over the next year the only jobs we ran on the 200 were those that were dimensionally too large for the SM52. It was simply that much faster with the automated 52 vs. the non-automated 202.

WW

If you are looking at a 14 X 20 it would be good to consider a perfector. Versatility is great, this morning I ran 2 rush 4 color jobs and am now plowing through a 2 color book. When perfecting single or 2 color work speeds are the same as a 1/2 size. Heidelbergs perfect coated stocks great with the new style perfect jackets.

Several years ago we traded in a 640 and a 628 Akiyama for 629 and 429 ManRolands with coaters. I think losing 40" capability was a mistake. Also, we find ourselves throwing a ton of paper away since you often have to buy 23x35 and cut it down since many papers do not come 23x29. 6-up letter with bleed really requires 23.25x29. Bulk of our work is short-medium run.

The press also came with D6500 console and the scanning densitometer is Status-E polarized so densities don't correlate well to G7. We ordered 5K bulbs for Just to replace the ones that came with it.

Clark

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back