convert spots to cmyk still show up

gumbylives

Hi,
When I use the action convert spot colour to cmyk my pdf shows it has only cmyk in it in the seperations window, and when I reopen it in Acrobat 9, but when I import it into Dynastrip it shows up. I think they are somehow hidden in the pdf. I send it to the xitron rip directly and get all the old spots listed even tho there is nothing showing when I view each colour in the rip's, dynastrips preview.
What is causing this? Any ideas?
cheers
Gumby

Are you doing this in Ink Manager? That's the only explanation I can think of from what you have said. Ink manager doesn't alter the data on the file. Not sure what it's supposed to do to be honest apart from alter it while the file is open similar to convert to process in a print dialog box

The only thing I can think of is to try a "Save As" when saving the pdf file; it might remove potential color palette place holders...?

So long as nothing is showing up in your seps, you should be fine. But I see why it's annoying!

Are you doing this in Ink Manager? That's the only explanation I can think of from what you have said. Ink manager doesn't alter the data on the file. Not sure what it's supposed to do to be honest apart from alter it while the file is open similar to convert to process in a print dialog box

That was my guess as well!

However, with Acrobat 9 you CAN use the Convert Colors feature in conjunction with the Ink Manager to have those changes applied permanently.

also, there are Preflight Fixups that can do the job as well.

As far as I know, there are three different ways to convert spot colors to cmyk but only one will modify the data in your file. If you choose to use the ink manager within the Convert colors option, it will work correctly but if you go directly to the ink manager (or via the output preview), the transformation is not going to be saved in your file and is only useful if you want to print your file directly.

Please excuse me if the names of the commands are not correct but I only have a french version of Acrobat.

I am using....

I am using....

I am using the Enfocus Convert Spot color to CMYK. Should I not use this???? I guess it's not a perfect action then if it retains the color data that was initially in the file. I guess I will have to use the Convert Colors from now on.

tried it

tried it

and it still does it. That is using pitstop convert spots to cmyk and did a save as....the convert colors works tho. Just strange that the pitstop action keeps the colors somehow hidden in the file. Because when I open it up again in acrobat 9 I don't see anything, only when I import it into Dynastrip or send it to the rip directly.
hmmmmm....still wondering.

gumbylives, this is a constant annoyance for me with DynaStrip as well. Most times, a Save As, so that the file is "re-written", will get rid of references to the Spot(s).
For me, the annoyance is mainly that Dyna will throw in density squares for the Spot, in the Density Bar, as well as list the color in the Comp Color List, on the plate ID.
On the RIP, however, all is fine; (usually, though I check). IMO, there is no reason not to use PSP's powerful actions, in spite of this.

I also usually get around the density Bar problem when doing jobs with which I can use Templates. Instead of Density Bars, I have a cmyk Imported Mark made up out of Illy. This resides with the Template.
No Spots in that case! Don't know where you're at with Dyna, but can give you a pointer on the Imported Mark thingy, if you want. It's not as cool as PREPS' Smart Marks...but it works.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back