Converting from CMYK to spot and only get a percentage

gumbylives

Hi, We are now running Pitstop Pro 10 update 3 with the latest Acrobat X. Now whenever I use inspector to change a, lets say a 100% magenta to a spot colour it always makes it a percentage when it's done, even tho the pop up does show it to be 100% of a pantone. What could be causing this. I would like it to be a solid all the time and not a percentage.
Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.
cheers
Gumby

So basically Enfocus sticks to their guns that they are doing it "right" way which is very wrong if you consider their target audience, prepress professionals.
All these years they were not been able to resolve it.
If you select cyan colour and want to change it to spot colour (remember, we are dealing with prepress operators here, not designers) you want it to stay the same percentage, 100%=100%, 50%=50%, etc...
Maybe Enfocus should give us a tool that will perform as expected in prepress world. Other tools are doing this particular job properly.

Here are some screen captures

Here are some screen captures

Screen one is the 100% mag.
Screen 2 shows me selecting the convert cmyk to spot and then selecting this colour and pressing ok.
Screen 3 is the non 100 % colour.
I think this is pretty self explanatory.
I look forward to your replies.
cheers
Gumby

Attachments

• Screen Capture 1.pdf
    223.5 KB · Views: 222
  • Screen Capture 2.pdf
    37.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Screen Capture 3.pdf
    216.3 KB · Views: 221
  • Sample 100 mag.pdf
    5.7 KB · Views: 244
Thanks for the screenshots, do you want to change all magenta to spot, or just one instance of it?

If you want to do all magenta then the channel remap is a better option, that gives the expected results.

As stated before the convert to spot and global change results are a little strange, I'll check it out with the Pitstop product manager on Monday in the office.

Last edited:
You can perfectly achieve the desired result with PitStop Pro 10 update 3:

If you want to remap the entire Magenta channel to the Pantone spot separation then you can do this by using the 'Remap Channel' option:
- Via Global Change "Remap Color" where you configure this as 'Remap Channel 'Magenta' To Spot Color 'Pantone 193 C', very handy to convert an entire document (or if desired only for a selection)
- Note you can achieve this also through the Inspector via: 'Separations - Remap Channel' to only adjust it to the selection
I guess this is what you want to achieve for more complex designed documents that need to be converted.

If you only want to change the color of one specific object to another spot color with a given tint, then you can also pick the desired spot color via the Inspector > Fill/stroke its Action menu where you select 'Color Picker...' to pick the right spot and its tint.

If you have an additional question on a certain use case, you can always send me a message with more details at [email protected]

I guess we will try the Colour Picker

I guess we will try the Colour Picker

I do not want to remap, so looks like the only option is to use the colour picker.
Thanks for you help
Gumby

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back