Converting PDF to bilevel (automatic solution)

I have a 600 page PDF document (it's a scanned book) with a colour cast (brown text on yellow). What is my best approach to getting black text on white? I have been playing with the Convert Colors... feature in Acrobat 8 Pro without success. Is there some sort of extreme colour profile I can apply to increase the contrast?

This won't be color separated so it doesn't absolutely need to be 100% K in the text, but just to lighten up the yellow background enough to make it invisible.

Obviously I could do a few pages with the Touch Up tool and Photoshop, but don't fancy going through 600.

If all the pages are scans, then export all images from Acrobat, and run a batch convert on that folder from Photoshop, converting all to bitmap using 50% threshold. Then use InDesign to remake the PDF from the folder using the import multipage PDF script.

Thanks everyone. The scans are only 150dpi, but that doesn't matter as it's only one working copy I want to print – it's not a commercial job. It's getting rid of the colour cast that's the issue. I will go the export, batch process, and recombine route.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back