Corel coming back to the Mac

Perhaps they believe the choice of outright purchase may lure some users.

Could be, or also a realization that they have an untapped market of creative people who prefer Mac. The price is not too steep for a full graphic suite even compared to Adobe's prices when buying the full CS outright. I am hoping all these "little" guys get enough traction with outright payments or the option of subscription and outright payment to push Adobe to bring back that model. I truly hate what Adobe has done with their subscription and leaving the user/consumer with ZERO if they ever choose to stop paying.

The Corel brand will probably win them some switchers but products like the Affinity suite offers very powerful options for even less money.

Just downloaded Corel on Mac (16 day trial) and did a sample 4-page layout.

Some initial skepticism:
  • It certainly does not feel like a first-class Mac application. It is slow and lags on this Mac where Adobe CC is fine and Affinity flies. (i7 Macbook Pro)
  • Some of the control conventions are vaguely familiar from a decade ago (when I last used Corel on PC) but it is very different from how Adobe, Affinity, and many other Mac apps work and will certainly harm productivity at first.
The good:
  • I could open a Corel file from PC and it works perfectly.
  • It is nice to have the vector drawing tools (Illustrator) and page layout (Indesign) in the same app. Affinity does that even better now though. Adobe can innovate a little in this area.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back