Correct device for achieving color management

johnci

Hello everyone,

We are a Screen Printing company and need color management for our 4colors. To do so do we only need a spectrodensitometer?
We are currently looking at the "techkon spectrodens advance", however any other recommendations your might have for an alternative device are welcome.
Also, has anyone tried using the X-Rite i1 in combination with the "iwizard" software taken from here : Nazdar Consulting Services - Brilliant Ideas ?
If so, can this fully replace purchasing the "techkon spectrodens advance"?

Thanks

John

Do you have software to create an ICC profile? Does it require certain spectrophotometer hardware?

There is spectrophotometer hardware that is better suited to fabric. What substrates do you need to profile?

I don’t know if you need a spectrodensitometer? Do you also need density values, or only spectral/colorimetric?

Stephen Marsh

Also, has anyone tried using the X-Rite i1 in combination with the "iwizard" software taken from here : Nazdar Consulting Services - Brilliant Ideas ?

John

MY VIRUS SOFTWARE QUARANTINED THE LINK ABOVE .ZIP FILE WITH A TROJAN VIRUS WARNING: Win.Trojan.Agent-339998 FOUND

Another virus checker did not produce a warning, so the message may or may not be a false alarm…

One can always use the free X-Rite ColorPort software to obtain colorimetric, spectral and density measurements using an i1pro.

There is also a new tool from Tucanna:

Tucanna Quality Control 3.0

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
I had in mind to create an icc profile through Photoshop, unless this in not possible? Or if i purchase the i1 publish pro will this allow me to create icc profile?
We mainly print pvc self adhesive vinyls.I believe that we need density values in order to be able to control our production.
That is odd since my antivirus did not quarantine the "iwizard" software.
Regarding the software you proposed, using this will I get adequate measurements as a densitometer? That means that as long as I get an i1 I do not need a spectrodensitometer ?

Last edited:
You can’t create a “proper” ICC profile from characterisation data using Photoshop’s legacy Custom CMYK engine.

I have not performed comparisons between the density mode of an i1pro + ColorPort or other software vs. a densitometer or spectrodens.

Stephen Marsh

I had in mind to create an icc profile through Photoshop, unless this in not possible? Or if i purchase the i1 publish pro will this allow me to create icc profile?
We mainly print pvc self adhesive vinyls.I believe that we need density values in order to be able to control our production.
That is odd since my antivirus did not quarantine the "iwizard" software.
Regarding the software you proposed, using this will I get adequate measurements as a densitometer? That means that as long as I get an i1 I do not need a spectrodensitometer ?

If you're working with smooth vinyl, then an i1Pro2 with i1Profiler will allow you to make profiles. If you get into fabrics, or textured surfaces, then you'll want to look into a device with a large aperture, like the measurement devices from Barbieri.

You could pair an i1Pro2 with software like pressSIGN to monitor press performance. I haven't looked at the iWizard software, but Nazdar has a decent reputation.

I use the i1Pro with both profiler and i1 Process Control. Works great for offset & digital and supposedly silk screen. Gave me better icc profiles than Xitrons's profiler.

Comments are personal and my views may not be shared by my employer or partners.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back